Multiple Ant Bites on 1 Year Old!!

Yesterday my one year old daughter fell in an ant mound and was immediately swarmed by them. We got them off of her fairly quickly, but she still receieved hundreds, yes, HUNDREDS, of bites. Yes, I feel like a terrible mother. She did not have an allergic reaction to them, however we barely got any sleep last night. She rubbed and cried out all night long. She has been a solid sleeper since she was a month old, so this is NOT even close to being normal for her. I called her pediatrician, and he said to just watch it. Just watch it?!?! That is not helping my baby feel better! So Moms, what can I do? What has worked for you? I have her rubbed down with anti-itch cream, have given her children's benadryl (per the doctor's suggestion) and I am giving her tylenol as well.

Poor baby! An oatmeal or baking soda bath might soothe it or at least keep her mind off the itch for a little bit. I'd just keep up with the benadryl and Tylenol too. The worst part is they tend to itch for a couple days and there's really nothing you can do. :-( my son stepped on a hill with sandals and we pretty much did the same thing.

OUCH!

I agree with the baking soda bath and if you need to, baking soda paste applied directly to the bites!

So sorry for your little one. The days are sooooo long when you're waiting for relief!

P.S. Don't feel like a terrible mother. You can't protect them from everything every minute of every day. Considering all of the things that can happen to children on a daily basis, this is pretty mild!

Put her in the tub with warm not hot water and about a cup of baking soda. Let her soak for a while 30 minutes should do it. If that doesn' t help you can make a paste with baking soda and water to apply directly on the bites. Meat tenderizer paste also works. Insect venom is mostly protein and the tenderizer breaks down protein.

I got bitten all over my feet, I didn't see them :( So don't feel like a terrible mother, you didn't send her to the ant hill.

Benadryl, Tylenol and oatmeal baths are what I recommend. Hope she feels better very soon!

I highly recommend the Aveeno oatmeal bathes. I think they will make her feel much better.

Good luck!!!

Sounds like you are doing good.
Yes, they do itch and will continue to itch.. Just have to keep applying and keep her medicated with the benadryl.

There are anti itch creams.. like "Chigger Plus".. the main ingredient is benzocaine..

It will help..

1 / 3