Moving with Two Months Left of school...Do I Homeschool?? Help!!!

My son has two months left of school (1st grade) and we are relocating. I am trying to decide how to handle school and the move. Do I stay by myself with two children while my hubby starts his new job and hope the house doesn't sell before the end of the school year....or....Go with him and home school my first grader for the remainder of the year.??? I spoke with the teacher at his school and she said that Texas policy is students must be in school 90% of the school year....this means he can only miss 18 days of school. Our home will most likely sell before then so I am really in a tough spot here! Ugh! Anyone have this experience? What should I do?? TIA!

To piggyback on a few of the comments about enrolling in a school in the new location..we don't know where we want to live yet. We were going to take the summer to decide that. We are getting a relocation package so I don't need to stay until the home closes...just till I get a sale. Also, being on my own for two months (while hubby is 2,000 miles away) without and family to help me is not something I am really looking forward to.

I appreciate the feedback. I think from the numerous responses regarding the close dates etc..I need to reiterate and explain again that we do NOT need to wait for the home to close. Once we get an offer on our home and do repairs based on the home inceptions, our relo company buys the home from us and we are out of the picture. So essentially, if I get an offer tomorrow I could be out of the house with my money in a few weeks. My concern is that if it sells, I will be in temp living here since I can't stay in the home...my hubby will be in temp living in the new location...all so my son can finish 2 months of school? Also, fully aware that it may take a while to sell but I am being hopeful and pro-active. Thanks for all the advice and keep it coming. :)

Personally, I would really consider staying, even if that means "renting" a month or two from the new owner. We did that. It happens ALL the time. Good luck!

If it's really only two months until school is out I would probably stay behind. Even if they house sells within a few weeks you could probably negotiate a closing a few weeks later and then you are already pretty close to two months. If there are still some weeks to go I would arrange for temp housing until the end of the school year or to the date that's close enough that he has the 90%.

18 days is just under a month because they don't count weekends. Are you sure you can't just suck it up for a month? Seems like such a short time for such a big deal.

It's only 1st grade. I say homeschool and enjoy the time with your son and family. Just because your son doesn't sit in a classroom for the final two months does not mean your new school will not accept him into 2nd grade.

I myself missed 2 months of 5th grade in order to travel with my grandparents. And I can tell you that the time with my grandparents has impacted my life much more than the missed school.

You don't want your litle boy to be the 'lonely new kid' all summer. Get him enrolled in his new school and some activities for the summer so he can get to know some of the kids.

I would probably stay. Even if it sells today (unlikely) I would assume it would take about 30 days to close. If that happens is there a friend you could move in with for the second month? If not, possibly you can rent a room or find a hotel that rents by the week.

Personally, I would wait til the end of the school year to pull them out of their old school, start fresh in the fall. If that's in any way possible.

:)

My family was in that predicament about 12 years ago, and we decided to stay a month longer to finish it out. We actually moved on the last day of the school year. Our house was sold at the time, but it was part of the purchase agreement that we stay a bit longer and would be out that day. It would be much easier to stay and wait it out, IMO.

1 / 3