Moving to Phoenix-Where Are the Good Neighborhoods?

My husband just got a job transfer to Phoenix. So we'll be moving in the next few months. It's going to be a big move-b/t the kids, pets and everything else. I've never been to AZ and know very little about Phoenix. What areas are good/safe/child friendly (like parks etc.). I know he will be working by the Biltmore Park Mall but that's about it. Any information would be helpful and greatly appreciate-
thanks everybody;-)

Hi - My sister lives in Chandler, AZ and it is a very family oriented town, there are beautiful parks (3) in her neighborhood alone. My 5 yr old loves when we visit her. I do not know how far the Biltmore Park Mall is from Chandler - but beware traffic in AZ is horrendous!!!

I don't know if you are renting or buying - but my sister would love to rent her house out (she's single & would love to live in Scottsdale). It's a beautiful 3 bedroom 2 bath split floor plan w/HUGE new kitchen, pool, etc.
If you're interested email me @ ____@____.com

I'm another fan of Ahwatukee. I've lived here for the past 12 years. Ahwatukee has a great small town feel. There are plenty of parks, hiking and shopping. The Kyrene school district is one of the best in Arizona.

Gilbert is wonderful...tons of parks, splash pads, great recreation dept through the city for classes for the kids, tons of shopping, etc. It was the fastest developing city in the nation like a year ago, but not sure if it still is. We love it. However, if he's working in the Biltmore area, its going to be about a 35 min commute...on a good day.

I too recommend Gilbert. I worked at the PD there for almost 5 yrs and I gotta tell you it is a much safer area than Phx. Granted Phx has some nice area's but they are usually interspersed between bad neighborhoods. Not to mention the drop houses, drive by's, and other general big city crime. Think I'm being over dramatic? I'm not.

Gilbert city was listed as the 26th safest city in the nation.. that's right NATION. (ok, so I am a tad biased) :) I do miss it though. There are TONS of parks, outdoor places for the kiddos, restaurants, shopping etc. I would look for a place near the freeway to help with the commute if he is concerned about that.

Bottom line: you will feel safe walking up and down the streets with your kiddos in tow to go to the park, etc. I would not feel that way in most phx neighborhoods. (the really safe area's in phx are super expensive)

Anyway, you will love it. Good luck!

p.s. if you do go to Gilbert check out the San Tan Mall. Huge play area for the kids with a splash pad. We spent many days hanging out there.

I visited AZ last year. I have a friend who lives in Tucson. My only suggestion is make sure you get a home that has a garage big enough to park your cars in. It is so very HOT there. It is also very dry. chap stick was my best friend. I put a lot of lotion on my hands and feet all day long. It is also very dry. for mamapedia your location is currently FL. This question ussually goes to moms who are in your area. I would encourage you to change your location in your mamapedia info, and then ask this question again. Then you will get responses from people who live in the Phoenix area. Good Luck and enjoy the move. It is a beautiful state.

Hello!
I would have your Real Estate agent help you with recommendations, if you have one. If not, my guess would be that one would help you even if you do not want to buy straight away, but plan on it in a few months. I have a recommendation if you need one - she has helped us with two purchases and was really great with us.
Other than that, how much commute are you willing to do? The Biltmore aera is close, but high-end, so is a lot of Scottsdale and the Central Ave corridor. There are really nice cities to the west, like Glendale, Peoria, Goodyear, Surprise. Tempe is cool, but landlocked, however also close to ASU. However, with all of these towns, you are looking at least at 30-45 min commute, longer in rush hour.
We live in Glendale and love it, but we are also in a decent area. There are neighborhoods all over the place that are not so great, just like Ella posted below. If you cannot get advice, I would try to rent first and get a feel for the area before buying.

Best of luck with everything!

Around the Biltmore is a great area. There is a good park at Indian School and 56th St and another, smaller one at Campbell and 44th St. I don't know how old your kids are but Arcadia has a great Mom's Club too. (and if you are in a different area, they will all have some kind of Mom's Club).

I know nothing about AZ but Zillow.com is a great site for looking up real estate and GreatSchools.net is a great site to find a school. I have moved many many times and I suggest you rent first, especially in an area where you know no one. Good luck.

We live near the Biltmore Fashion Park. Missouri and 20th Street. Tons of cute homes from 1,500 SF and up. I would look on 24th Street and Montebello and all around that area. Beautiful homes and parks and you are Central to everything!!!

1 / 3