Moving to Phoenix area...need Advice on Good Neighborhoods

Hi! My family is traveling to the Phoenix area tomorrow to look for a new house. We are looking around tempe/chandler/mesa/gilbert and were wondering if there were any particular areas to avoid...we have three children ages 5 and under. we are going to homeschool our children, so school location isn't an issue. we want to be within a 30 min drive to the airport, as my husband will be working close to there. I am an RN, and will be looking for employment as a private duty nurse (most likely...although i am an emergency room nurse by specialty for the last 6 years). please, any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!

Thank you so much for all of your input. We were able to find a great home in our price range in the Gilbert area near the 202 which makes my husbands commute much easier. Now all we have to do is close in 30 days so we can all move at the same time! Thank you again!

Gilbert is rated one of the safest places to live although not necessarily 30 minutes from the airport.

I can not use company time to respond, but I've lived in Phoenix since 1962. My home email is ____@____.com. I can discuss areas to stay away from, and areas that are awesome, depending on what you like...and no, I am not a realtor! :)

Look in Power Ranch in Gilbert. It is awesome!! We just moved here three weeks ago and LOVE it. Tons of kids and tons of things in the community, fishing lakes, community pools, splash pads, walking trails and a homeschooling group that meets as well. I would highly recommend it.

Hi G.,
There really are so many nice neighborhoods that people have referred you to. I too am a homeschooling mom. Many of my homeschooling friends have their children attending a one day a week enrichment program in Awhatukee called Casa Vida. My children attend an enrichment program 2 days a week at Surrey Garden Christian which is in Gilbert. There are a few other similar type programs throughout the Phoenix area. Just a thought as you're considering where to plant yourselves. Good Luck!

Hi and welcome! You will sure have your pick of houses and neighborhoods. We moved here when there were bidding wars on houses and it was crazy. We live in East Mesa/Gilbert and we love it. It is probably a little farther out than you are looking for. My husband works near the airport and it takes him 40-45 min. with traffic. I personally think most of Gilbert is great. I have lots of friends who live in Gilbert.
Hopefully others will have better advice on neighborhoods.
The reason I wanted to write is because of the homeschooling. I know you are just starting out but I wanted you to know about all the great groups out there. First there is AFHE (Arizona Families for Home Education) www.afhe.org . They have a great convention in July with seminars and tons of venders with deals on curriculum (this can be a little overwhelming if your not sure what you want). Then there is HERO (www.happilyeducatingourown.org). This is a free newsletter with tons of info., advice, and you can find out just about anything going on in the homeschooling community. This one is a must. Another great group if you end up in the East Valley is EVCHE - East Valley Christian Home Educators (www.homeschool-life.com) Their Fit for Service PE program would be great for your little ones and help you get connected with other moms. Unfortunately we are almost finished with that this year.
I hope you find this helpful. I homeschool our 14 yr. old son. This is our 1st year. Best decision we've made.
Again, welcome!

Depends on what you are looking for? Master-planned community or a more quiet neighborhood with children...I have done both...let me know, S.

G.,
I have moved many times (13 in 13 years!) and have always found the best neighborhoods by checking out the schools. Although you homeschool, it is still a good idea to check out the school for the houses you find. greatschools.net is a good resource. I have found that the best schools correspond to the best neighborhoods. In good neighborhoods, parents are more involved in their child's education which corresponds to higher student achievement. It will also affect the resale value of your home should you ever move again. Best of luck to you!

Hi G.!
Our neighborhood is great. I taught in this neighborhood for 7 years and live in it. I have two boys myself 4 & 3. We are about 30 min from the airport and also belong to a great church. Our house is on the market if you want to look at it through realtor. com. The MLS # is ###-###-####. We never thought we'd move but my husband was very unhappy with his job and found a great opportunity so we are moving. I figured I would make friends but I needed to do what makes him happy! He is my best friend too!
Well, I hope this helps. Please let me know what you think.

I can recommend a really good realtor that can help answer your questions and take you to those areas that are worth looking at. And I really recommend using a realtor! His name is Dave Sobeck with Realty Executives. His number is ###-###-####

Hi G.,
I'm a Mesa native and would say that Gilbert is definately the most family-friendly part of the East Valley right now. I'd say if you're going to look in Mesa, only look in East Mesa. Chandler - mostely South Chandler. I'd probably stay away from Tempe all together because of the university there.

Also, there are several new hospitals in the East Valley that are desperate for nurses (I'm a P.A. in and Urgent Care).

Good luck and hope you find something you like! Where are you moving from?

1 / 3