Moving from Connecticut to Irving,Texas

I am interested in other mom's opinion's on cities around Irving for schools and basic area information. Great places to live, where not to live, schools, doctors, pediatricians, asthma specialists, etc. Any feedback about the area would be appreciated as I have 2 children ages 2&4.

Southlake, Keller, and Grapevine are a fairly short commute to Irving and are great places for families to live w/lots of housing.

We love Miss Bloomingdale's Academy in Irving for preschool. We live far away but work in Las Colinas. It has been really wonderful for our children!

Flower Mound is the BEST place to live and raise children! I was raised in the mound and I wanted to raise my children here. Schools are great and the people are very friendly. I actually live in Wellington of Flower Mound. Please email me with any questions. Also, my Mother is a Realtor if you need any help looking.

Hi there,
I live in Flower Mound, about 30 min. from Irving. I might be able to offer some advice, but I would need a little more info (like are you looking to purchase a home or rent and what price range). I am a loan officer in the area, so I know it pretty well. Let me know if I can help!

I lived in Las Colinas for 2 years and LOVED it! It's a new, clean, growing, and beautiful area. You have your convenient shops (Gap, Pier One, TJ Maxx, Target, Super Wal-Mart, etc), restaurants, new hospital, great day cares. I moved to uptown Dallas when I got married, otherwise, I wouldn't have left.

The better schools are in Valley Ranch (Las Colinas & Valley Ranch are suburbs of Irving). Irving ISD is an OK school district. Only two schools were ranked in the top 100 schools in Dallas area, Irving HS (49th) & MacArthur HS (64th). I taught at Trinity High School (Euless, TX) and Flower Mound HS (Flower Mound, TX -close to Grapevine & Las Colinas). I would recommend a school in one of the surrounding cities of Irving (Grapevine, Colleyville, Carrollton, Flower Mound, Coppell, Richardson) or private school.

My OB is in Grapevine, and I took my son to a pediatrician in Las Colinas but wasn't completely happy w/ her, therefore I wouldn't recommend her, but my OB is great!

Please email me directly if you have more questions. I would be glad to help you out any way possible.

The best place near Irving school wise would be Coppell. If you didn't mind being a little further away, Flower Mound has awesome schools as well. I don't have first hand experience, but I know Irving schools are not very highly rated. I think some areas of Valley Ranch which I think is actually a part of Irving attend Coppell schools so that might also be a good option. I live in Flower Mound and love it. We go to church in Irving and the drive is not bad at all (15 to 20 minutes - maybe more during high traffic times).

I can help you with a home purchase if you are going to buy when you get here.

Chris

We live in Plano and absolutely love it! It's so family-friendly with tons of parks, greenspace, dog park, hike/bike trails, a nature preserve with a beautiful trail; schools are excellent! And everything is in Plano -- diverse selections of restaurants, large movie theaters, good shopping, etc. etc. We hardly ever have to leave Plano for anything. Here's the city website for more information... www.plano.gov and here's the Independent School District website.... www.pisd.edu
If you look in Plano...I recommend buying or renting a home west of 75/Central Expressway... the home values go up faster on the west side in Plano; of course they are more expensive, too, but you're buying an investment. It's definitely a good place to buy for a long-term home investment.

Other places I'd recommend... other Collin County cities (Collin County is north of Dallas County): Allen, McKinney, and Frisco (Frisco is booming big-time right now -- lots of business and new home construction! but a good investment already if you buy here, it has an excellent mall that is very popular - people come from all over the metroplex to visit Frisco's mall Stonebriar Centre because it's so family-friendly and attractive with great, affordable stores. Frisco has great shopping outside the mall too -- Sam Moon is really popular here -- a discount purse, jewlery and accessory store. There's a beautiful minor league baseball field in Frisco too - Frisco RoughRiders and those games are great family outings.) I have friends and family that live in these cities and are very happy and pleased with the city goverment, services, schools, neighborhoods, etc.

Feel free to email me if you have more questions.... Welcome to Texas!!

1 / 3