Moving Company Question

I am asking this question for a friend as I did not know what to tell her. Her and her family are moving out of state next week. Her husbands new company is moving them and she does not know if she should provide food and water/drinks for the movers who will be packing up her house for a couple of days next week. Any advice to give her?

I moved every 2 years growing up. Mom and Dad gave the movers lunch every day, breakfast some days, and soda's and waters in a cooler all day every day. It made them more careful with our stuff :). Definitely order some pizza's...go grab some cheeseburgers...and have plenty of drinks on hand.

I always have different kinds of soda in the fridge. I also offer pizza but a few times they have refused. I have gotten ChickFilA for all once. Once I actually gave each a beer.

The more hospitable you are to them, the more likely they are to take care in packing your things.

Well, they are being paid to do the work and they will take breaks to eat I'm sure. We had our stuff packed two weeks ago and I did get them drinks and some ice cream bars because it was super hot and humid outside. But there is certainly no obligation to provide anything and they shouldn't expect it. I do like that someone else said it makes them more careful with your stuff. If she feels inclined, do it. But don't sweat it too much. She is moving after all and there are bigger fish to fry, so to speak!

We offered drinks, but I don't think they ever took one. They all had some with them

We moved overseas in '06 (from St Louis) and 3 guys showed up. They asked if they could put drinks (and I assume lunch) in the fridge and also asked to use the microwave. This was totally fine with me. Then they turned on TV downstairs without asking, but they were so nice, I didn't really mind.

That's all I can remember -- it had been a frantic few weeks and they came the day before we got on the plane! Good luck to your friend! :)

1 / 3