Motivation W/weight Loss

I am a mother of 4 - tandem nursing my 23 month old and my 6 1/2 month old. I want to lose weight - my goal is 130. I am 33 years old, 5' 7" and weigh 144 as of this morning. I started last week at 148.4 and just started watching what I eat (counting calories, eating no more than 2000 a day) and trying to drink 8 glasses of water a day. I also try to do an activity of at least 30 minutes a day (jumping rope, mowing the grass, situps, etc). I am keeping a food journal too.

I got down last week to 142.4 and now back at 144. I feel bummed that I have gained weight back already and need some motivation or if someone out there knows maybe what I can do to push it a little further/faster. We recently joined the YMCA and I am looking forward to going there next week to try to move it along. Thank you in advance for any motivation and tips.

I prefer that no one try to sell me anything. I am not interested in buying supplements or paying someone to be my personal trainer.

Got to www.sparkspeople.com it is like a free weight watchers but on line. You can track food, exercise and it will give you goals and everything else you would need to loose weight. Hope that helps

P.
I understand what you're going through. I am in the health and wellness industry and I now know it is much more than watching calories. There is a lot to be said for the nutritional part of managing weight. I am now in my 50's and with never having had to diet, I now have to manage it. I reduced 18 lbs and 11 total inches. If you are interested please let me know.
Good Health

Prisilla, I totally understand the desire to lose weight and get back into shape. Congrats on joining the YMCA!!! I teach aerobics at our local Y, and it really is a great place for families. That said, my personal opinion is, try not to become too worried about what's going on at the scale right now. Physical activity is certainly wonderful for you, AND then on top that you are producing milk for 2 little ones!!!! That is a great accomplishment, and one that requires a good amount of quality nutrition. Give your body all the nutrition it needs, and don't worry about the scale. Keep up the great work!!!!!

I recommend 6 small meals a day so that your metabolism is up all day and eat Protein, protein, protein! Lay off most carbs. Our bodies have to work to burn the protein so we actually burn calories digesting it--and you won't feel so hungry as it lasts longer. Try eating eggs--boiled, scrambled--whatever and lots of chicken breasts & fish or even canned chicken or tuna. My daughter likes to put salsa on heated canned chicken for one of the six meals. Add green vegetables to a couple of the six meals, too. One meal could be a protein shake (made with protein powder). My favorite protein breakfast is a protein pancake (1 egg and 3 egg whites and 1/2 cup oatmeal in blender than fry in olive oil and eat with sugar free maple syrup--there are other variations too). I was asking my trainer how to lose 10 lbs in a month before going to florida on his free blog at http://fitdocnthehouse.ning.com/?xgi=4L3lx5w and his answer really works! Also, always lift weights at the Y--muscle burns calories and get on the treadmill for 30 minutes and walk 2 minutes and run for 1 minute. I promise you'll lose you'll 10 lbs on this plan!! It's worked for me and many women i know!

Sounds like you are almost there...stick with it! DON'T give up. You might be changing some of the fat to muscles and muscle weighs more. How do your clothes fit? When exercising are you getting your heart rate up? When you jump rope, I am sure that you are but not so much with situps or mowing the yard. Situps are good for toning so keep doing that. One thing you can try is to run (running strollers for the kids) and while doing it be sure to keep your heart rate up for 15min then let it come down for 5 then pick it back up again. Do that for an hour. keep drinking water and stay away from tea/coffee/soda. Eat a lot of greens and some fat is going to be ok if you exercise a lot. You could bring the calories down a little but that would not be my focus.

Hope it helps!!

First, congratulations on having 4 children and having the energy to do all of this!! Since, you are still nursing and you have a 6.5 month old, give your body a break. "They say", 9 months on, 9 months off about weight. It sounds like you are doing great and have the energy. Weight flucuates everyday, so checking it everyday will make you go crazy. I wouldn't worry with the 1 to 2 lb. differences. In the long run, you will reach your goal (you JUST started). Also, if you try adding some weights (not too heavy at first- 3-5 lbs to start- if you aren't doing them already). Muscle burns faster when you do strengthening and aerobic activity combined. If you don't really want to build muscle, keep the weight low, but do more reps. as you get used to it. I'm not a personal trainer, but have read a lot and worked out a lot to experience some of this and got the results I wanted. If you still have questions, please talk with your doctor and don't overdo it! You still have 4 children who need their mom to play with and be there for them. Good luck! You can do it!

Not really sure how to help you with loosing weight while nursing since I always seemed to gain weight with my children!!! The only thing I wanted to mention was make sure you are getting enough calories because your body will kind of shut down and not let you loose weight if you are not eating enough. I am not sure how many you are supposed to get in a day while nursing and since you are nursing two you may actually need more. Either contact your DR or look online I am sure you can find out what you need to know!!

A.

HI,
Over the last 2 years I have lost 40 pounds. I try not to be obsessed about it because I am raising a little girl and I don't want to give her any ideas about that. Anyways, It has been slow going but I have kept the weight off. Everyone said that breast feeding would help you lose weight, but that was not the case for me. I ended up getting really sick and lost about 20 lbs from that. From that point on, after I felt better, I tried to eat better and I weighed myself once a day. Every time I lost a little weight it motivated me to eat better. I used to weigh 115 and after losing 40 lbs I still weigh 145. The thing that motivated me the most was that I felt so much better and had more energy and the fact that people who hadn't seen me for a while were commenting on how good I looked. I would like to get back down to 115 but I am not holding my breath on that one. Remember to forgive yourself, and just try to stay on track. I don't know if anyone else can tell you how to motivate yourself, you have to decide what it is that motivates you the best whether it be a shopping spree when you have lost so much weight, or something else. I have noticed that I yo yo back and forth between a 5 pound difference. One thing I contributed to helping me lose weight is I cut out dairy due to my daughters dairy allergy. I let myself have some occasionally, but you might try it.

Don't get down on yourself! You are on the right track with keeping a food log and trying to get exercise - mowing the grass does count! When you do get to the Y - try lifting light weight 3 sets of 15 reps and then hit the cardio. You may want to try interval training on the cardio equipment. (increase your intensity for 1 min. (up to 5 times) and then start back at your starting level. Do this for 20 mins. That is all the time you need to do for your cardio part. (short but intense)
Keep in mind that to lose weight you must lift light weight and do cardio. Good luck!

A little about me - I am a happy mother of a 3 month old - trying to lose my last few pounds. To add some credit - I am a PE teacher and have done personal training.

It sounds like you are doing a great job. It will take time. As long as you are consistant, the weight will come off. I always gain a little bit at a certain time of the month and it ALWAYS gets me down! But, I just keep eating right and working out even when I don't feel like it. I have found that you need to find something that works for YOU and just stick with it. For instance, I like to work with free weights and I really hate aerobics! lol So, I just do what I like to do...I walk on the treadmill for cardio.

I also learned to listen to my body. I was working out every day of the week! But, again, at a certain time of the month, I noticed my body was really exhausted. So, I skip a day in between those weeks, but I still stay consistant.

You can do this!! Keep up the good work! Let us know your progress so we can keep encouraging you!!

You go, girl!

1 / 3