Mother/daughter Activities

Hi Moms...I have a 15yr old soon to be step daughter that lives with her dad and I,her mom lives in California and she only sees her a couple a months a year. Anyway, I came home from work last night and her dad told me that Kiersten was upset because me and her don't ever do anything by ourselves. I don't have a normal work schedule I work 2p to 10p, I also sell Mary Kay and I'm trying to get that off the ground, and also me and her dad have a 3yr old daughter together. I'm quite a busy person and try my hardest on my days off (Mon-Tues)to spend time with everyone. I feel really bad that she was upset because it makes me feel like she thinks I'm neglecting her and I'm not I attend every cheerleading function she has if I'm not working..I guess my question is what are some good ideas I can do with her once a week on my days off(now that cheerleading is over)just me and her for a couple of hours.

I want to thank everyone for the awesome ideas. Kiersten and I have had the best time together. We've gone bowling and last week we did a mother/daughter spa day it was great and I think she is having a blast. I apologized for not paying as much attention to her and she told me that she understood but she wanted a mother that she could rely on since she can't rely on hers and told me that I have been more of a mother to her then her own has been, It made me cry. Thanks again ladies

Like the other Mom's said going out with her is good, trust me what she wants and needs is a close trusted female to talk to about her ever changing life, mind, and body. Take her out have fun and Please talk and listen.

I have a 15 year old foster daughter and a 15 year (1 month from 16th birthday) biological daughter. This weekend me and my daughter went shopping and sometimes we go riding around looking at house. Go out to eat, spa day, go out for ice cream, and little stuff is good for teenagers. My fiance' he take my daughter out and he is teaching her how to drive. Ask her what she would like to do with you. I hope this helps.

R., how about getting a pedicure together. My daughter, by the way who is 43y.o. and I do this occassionally. It's a good hour of together time. I have a 16 y.o. grandaughter and of course shopping is always a good past time. Also, you could use her as your Mary Kay model. Hopefully this will make her feel special.

Good Luck,

Shug

You could out and get your nails done together or maybe shopping.

I would just encourage you to keep it simple. It can be the two of you going out to lunch or to get ice cream, or catching a movie together. My 11 year old loves going to the mall and looking around. The key is to not try too hard. Even a simple mani/pedi or going for a walk together or doing other fitness activites. My daughter even takes kickboxing classes with me at the gym. Any time you spend with her is time well spent, no matter what you're doing. And it doesn't have to be an all day event, or something real expensive.

All of the suggestions have been great! How about having a few of her friends and their moms over for a make-over. You could incorporate time with your daughter while promoting your business. The girls might love it. Teenagers and makeup tend to go hand in hand. Also be sure to talk to her its a very difficult time in life and she is going to need you even if at times it doesn't seem like it.

I have been in the same boat. I have a step daughter 18 AND a step-son 17 as well as a biological daughter 4.

The oldest two came into my life on a perm basis when they were 8 & 9. I took the lead from a friend of mine (whom I felt was an excellent parent) and my husband and I set up "dates" with our kids on a regular basis. It could be as simple as going for coffee or breakfast, maybe even lunch or dinner. Or maybe go get your nails done. The mane thing is find something that SHE is interested in and then go do it together. Maybe that is the start. Sit down and talk to her.

I have a 13 yr old daughter and I take her about once a month to get mani/pedi's. If that is too expensive, you can do them yourselves at home. There are many reasonably priced kits at the drugstore. Or you can pick her up once in a while from school and take her out to lunch. Those are a few ideas. :)

1 / 3