Mosquito Bites on a 2 Year Old

Whenever my two year old gets a mosquito bite on his body it swells (a lot!), gets hard as a rock, and often blisters and weeps. Has anyone ever experienced this same thing? Why does this happen and what should I do to help him? Should I take him in to the Dr for this? We avoid going outside quite a bit because bug spray doesn't seem to help much. I currently give him Motrin for the swelling. Next I'm going to try Benedryl.

Try the Benedryl then take to Dr. I would go ahead and call the Dr. for their opinion. It sounds like he is very allergic to the bites. Good Luck!!

My son does this and used to really bad at 2. We determined by taking him to the dr that he's allergic to the mosquito bites. Crazy as that sounds, but we found that mosuquito repellant did help. If it concerns you too much you should take him to his dr. I know it's hard, but I hope that helps somewhat! :)

L.-

My two year old had the same problem last summer and suffered so bad on the 4th of July, I wanted to take him to the ER. His pediatrician said to give him Benadryl orally and anti-itch cream to stop the itching. It works so I would say I agree with Jennifer on this one. I will also say that now my son is three and we have not had a problem with mos. bites this summer or his allergies at all. That is one good thing about our kiddos getting older, their immunities are building up nicely.

My older son is the same way. He got one on the side of his face once that swelled his eye shut. It looked like he'd been hit upside the head! For ones on his face, I use OTC anti-itch cream, but on his body, I use a paste of meat tenderizer and water.
I react bad to bug bites too, so I just make sure to spray everyone down before playing outside (I like DeepWoods OFF), and I don't let them out in the evening, when those nasty bloodsuckers are at their worst. MO has the worst mosquitos, too!

My advice to you is to use the Benedril until you can get your son into his doctor. He may be allergic to mosquitoes. This may be something to consider. Maybe you should have his allergies tested by an allergy doctor. It is quite painless these days. I just got retested a year ago. You would be amazed how many more things you become allergic to as you get older. Please post again or write privately if you have any more questions.

Hi. This happens to all three of my children, ages 3,3,&2. It probably wouldn't hurt to contact your dr. but this is what I do. I use benadryl itching medicine to put directly on the bite and then I have mine 1/2 to 1 tsp of benadryl allergy medicine. It seems to work. Good luck. J.

My daughter is two and gets the same thing. We've actually had to take her to the ER once b/c her bite was on her knee and it swelled to the point she couldn't bend her leg. Dr just said to keep an eye on them for infection and to use benadryl and hydrocortisone cream for itching. If you hear anything else I'd love to know some other ideas.

This happens to my son as well. I have yet to find anything to help. We have had them so bad that they turned into staph infections. Calamine (sp) lotions helps a bit for the itching but not too much cause they usually just tryto pick it off which triggers the itching even more. My dr prescriped benedryl for my lil guy. it only put him to sleep but at least he wasn't scratchin. i have been told those new bug repelant wipes work really well by a friend of mine that has the same probably wiht her son. I also consulted the local termanex man and he said anything with deet in it will help.

I have the same problem. I have been allergic to mosquito bites since I was a kid and they seem to love to bite me. I have noticed that when I eat bananas I seem to get bitten more often. My mom would bathe me in warm water with baking soda in it, this helps with the swelling and the itch. If I developed an infection she would bathe me in an epsom salt bath to help draw out the infection. Mosquitos come out more at dawn and dusk so try to stay inside during these times and when you do go out use a bug spray with deet as the others have stated. I hope this helps.

1 / 3