Moody 8 Year Old

I have a second grader that has been real emotional and moody. He runs out of the room whenever he gets the least bit aggravated. I notice he loves to act like the victom. Does anybody have any advice on how to ride this out....is this normal 8 year old boy behavior?

S., I wish i had advice. I did want to let you know that my 8 year old son does the same thing. I have asked other moms of sons, and she said they all do it. So I guess I have conceded to live with it and not let him get the best of me. I do think that if we let him BE the victim he will always be able to play the victim, and this can lead to narsissim ( I know my brother is one. a narsissit that is.) I and I try to "reason" ( I don't reason very well) with him after he has calmed down.
I don't know if this helped but I did want you to know, it seems to be normal.

I have a 9 year old boy going through the same thing. I was told it was boy hormone changes similar to what girls go through. I try to talk to him and let him get out the frustration but he too always plays the victim. This must be normal for this age group.

Is he hungry? I have a 2nd grader also ( boy) and he is hypoglycemic. If he gets hungry, he's moody (as is the hubby). Also, what has he eaten before this all happens? There is research, lately, that some chemicals in the foods we eat are pretty bad for behavior. Especially boys. Any high fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils in the house? Get rid of 'em. I would also ignore the acting like a victim for awhile. Maybe he is doing this for attention. And negative attention is better than none (in his mind). Where is he in birth order? Maybe get a book on that subject. Good luck. Boys are different; no doubt about it. God love 'em.

Don't give into his behavior...as Mom's we tend to do that nut if it persists you may have to seek counseling for him. Just kind a watch him & (jot it down) his behavior patterns. We just can't know sometimes what's going on with the our children & you might want to ask his teacher about him & how he is at school...it could be something going on there. Good luck & God Bless!

I have an 8 year old boy (the oldest of 3) and he does this too. He has always been emotional, but recently he has started the running out of the room business. From what I hear from other parants this is really common, especially with boys! I have a 6 year old girl that seems more emotionally stable than her older brother, which is why I have consulted other parents of 8 year old boys(several had younger sisiters that also seemd more stable!) Although I'm not any sort of expert on the subject I do think it is normal. I do try to pay attention and on days that he seems more emotional than others I will ask a lot of questions and make sure nothing serious happened at school. All you can do is talk to them, make sure there is not an underlying problem and assure them that you love them. Good luck!

I don't have much advice...but I have an 8 year old boy that is doing the exact same thing. He's also the middle child so I didn't know if it was his age or circumstance. He whines and pouts and, as you said, acts the victim. He's sweet and sooo smart but is way emotional. He also has a very short temper. He gets mad very easily, especially at his little sister...and just last year they were the best of friends. So I'm just waiting for him to grow out of it.

Have an eight year old grandaughter with same symtoms. Is he the youngest?

I like to say that boys "cry from age 6 to 10". It's been true for both of my sons, & I've noticed it's quite typical at sports/scout events too (for this age group).
If your son likes to feel the victim, get him involved in a public service activity or at an animal shelter. It just seems that the more you help others, the stronger & more adaptable you become. It provides great personal growth potential. Both of my sons enjoy donating their time to worthy causes.

I have an 8 yr old second grader who is justthe same. To my knowledge it is normal. I dont cater to the behavior... I just let him know that it is ok to be mad and he doesn't have to like what I say, but he still has to follow rules. that seems to work for him. It is letting him know you aknowledge his feelings, but that it isn't any excuse to not follow rules. I use a lot of "If and Then Statements" as well. Like " If you do not clean your room, then you will lose gameboy privilages" hope this helps!

1 / 3