Monistat 7 Safe During Pregnancy?

I am 20 weeks pregnant and have had a yeast infection since early on in the pregnancy. The only symptom is it burns/hurts when we are having sex and I have been reluctant to use Monistat which was prescribed by my Doctor. I haven't read anything that says it is 100% safe after researching it and what scares me is that the application is being directly inserted so near to where the baby is. It also concerns me that the Doctor has recommended I not use it during the first trimester and that I only insert it half way, which makes me worry even more that it isn't totally safe. I realize I have to clear up the infection prior to giving birth however I keep putting it off since I am afraid of harming the baby. Has anyone ever used Monistat 7 during pregnancy and if so has your baby had any side effects from it? Also, did the Monistat clear up your infection and/or did it come back (which I've also heard is common)?

Thanks for you advice and help!

I used Monistat with two of my pregnancies. Please use the medicine, you are at more of a risk of complications with having a longterm yeast infection! I had such horrible yeast infections with my second pregnancy, that my doc just gave me a prescription with refills. Good luck to you.

When I have yeast infections, I use these boric acid capsules I got at a health food store. They work like a charm. Before you use something like that though, I would do the same research you're doing on the Monistat.

I'd try the garlic clove or cocunut oil and acidophilus first though. Great ideas...I may use them myself!

If you have a bad feeling about it, then use coconut oil (get a good one from the local health food store) and spread it on and around the area and then take acidolphilus. You can also get acidophilus or probiotics at a health food store too. You can get rid of it just by doing one or both of these things. I had a son that was 4yo at the time and we got rid of his by just him taking the capsules and another time by just coconut oil. (I took him off of cow's milk after that and it never returned.)

Monistat 7 is not the only remedy around town, know what I mean?

Have you tried eating yogurt every day? Sometimes yogurt can stop a yeast infection.

A good website to check for safety of drugs during pregnancy and lactation is www.safefetus.com

Do not worry, Monistat 7 is ok to used because I had a yeast infection my first trimester and my 3rd trimester. It does come back because of your increase hormones (which is very common). It is ok to insert it halfway or if it's not too severe, you could just rub on some of the cream instead of inserting it. I just delivered our first baby boy on March 27th; so congratulations and good luck to you.

Just ask your doctor if it is ok.Just simply call the office.

Hi D.,
I know how you feel. I would not have used Monistat while pregnant either. Always trust your gut feelings as you are a mom now:) I agree that the acidophilus or probiotics would work great for you. It would be very hard for you to over do them and they are fine for the baby. You have a bad environment going on right now and these natural supplements will even it out and help you to build good bacteria up, which is what you need. Make sure its a good, high quailty one. Go to a healthfood store. If you like cranberry juice, it will speed up the cure too. Again, a good quailty one. If you have ever heard of Naked Juice, they have an excellant probiotic drink. Best of luck to you and your baby!!

I have two boys and had this problem with my first. Personally I wouldnt use it there are natural ways of getting rid of it that will not harm you or your baby. Like yogurt and something I used, gentian violet. You can find this at your pharmacy. They might have to order it. I was skeptical of this when I heard about it but both my sons pediatrician and my ob said it was perfectly safe and effective to treat yeast infections. My ped had me use it on my newborn to treat thrush at 2 months. You just have to use a cotton swab and rub it on the affected areas. You could ask your doc or research it online. Your pharmacy can answer those questions too. It is a little messy but totally safe. Hope this helps. It really worked!

Go ahead and use it -- it's fine. Lots of pregnant women do -- you can even talk to your pharmacist first if that makes you feel better about it. Your baby is inside the uterus -- the Monistat isn't going to harm him/her. The reason for the "halfway" is probably the applicator not the medicine.

After that, wear cotton panties. And no panties when you can -- at home, to bed, etc. Drink plenty of water (even though I'm sure you're peeing like a fiend) and wipe well when you go potty. Try not to eat a ton of sugars or starches. Be wary of the soaps you use -- especially down yonder -- stay away from stuff like Lever 2000 or highly perfumed stuff. Best idea would be a nonsoap soap like Dove.

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

1 / 3