Moms of Teen Boys

My 12 1/2 year old son is suddenly very self conscious about his very slight "unibrow." He wants to pluck or wax it. I have never waxed by eyebrows and only occasionally have to pluck them, so I don't have any kind of relationship with someone at a salon. Should I take him to my local nail salon and have it done or is he too young to start something like this? How long does waxing last? Does it grow in darker/courser after waxing?

My husband spoke with our son again and found out that someone had made a comment about his unibrow a while back. But, he's now decided that he's okay with things for now and we've held off doing anything. Thanks so much for the education, however, because I am sure it will come up again!

Hi E., the girl I go to in Brooklyn waxes eyebrows for teen boys all the time. I don't think it grows in darker. I have no experience with this of my own but I do teach 7th grade and this age is very self conscious about many things. I think waxing is painful and he may not want to go back again. Grandma Mary

At his age, if it bothers him, I'd let him get it waxed. He'll probably need to do it every 4 to 6 weeks. Good luck

I say take him! I think it's awesome that he's interested in "man-scaping" at this age. He may hate it after the first time waxing, of it may be something that makes him feel great at gives him a little more self-confidence. It will last about 4-6 weeks, if not more, and it's not expensive - it's a small price to pay for a boost in adolescent male confidence. Go for it!

Hmm...I've never been a boy, BUT...I do remember how my mother taught me to take care of my OWN little uni-friend when I was his age. She started with some topical anesthetic, and then went to town. This might sound silly, but..start in the middle. Work towards the eyes. Grab no more than one or two hairs at a time - otherwise, it will HURT. Raise your eyebrows while plucking - this tightens the skin and makes it easier, and less painful. Always pull in the DIRECTION the hair is growing. Draw an imaginary line up from the corner of your eye, angling it in just a tad towards your nose - never pluck past that line.

There - now y'all know i'm a complete and hairy geek. What's a girl gonna do, eh? ;-) Trust me - his wife will thank you some day. My BIL took care of HIS unibrow as a wedding gift to my sister. It was a dire situation!

I have a teen daughter who started to wax at that age too. waxing lasts about 3 weeks depending on the person and the hair grows back the same if not a bit finer-in my experience. It costs about $6.00 for the eyebrow.

I know this is late and you have a lot of advice already. Your son is at the age that his hormones are changing and his face is growing and changing and sometimes boys eyebrows tend to bush out before the rest of their face catches up. I would maybe pluck a few stray hairs for him (I did this for my brother years ago when he was going through this). Times have changed though, and now it seems like every teen girl gets her eyebrows waxed on a regular basis, and I guess that maybe more than a handfull of boys do too. (I'm 41 and every girl I grew up with plucked her eyebrows - don't know what method they pick now - and guys didn't do anything.) Not too long ago, maybe 5 years, I worked with a guy who was a summer intern for us and he had his brows waxed. He was very pretty, and I use that word on purpose, I'm sure the girls were all over him, but he was pretty, not handsome. So, it just depends on how groomed a look you want for him. Plucking will give him a more natural looking brow that he will eventually grow into, waxing will be more artificial and sleek (or feminine) and he will probably have to continue to do it to maintain the look. You could ask him if he knows if any of the guys in his class have done anything to their eyebrows (I doubt they talk about it, but he might have noticed).

I don't think it's too young for him to think about this, particularly if he is self-conscious about the unibrow and this might make him feel better about himself. He's also not too young to have it done -- look at it this way, if it was your 12 1/2 year old daughter who had a unibrow, would you hesitate to help her look and feel better? Just because he's a boy doesn't mean anything different.

My son is 10 and has very thick eyebrows, and both my husband and I are pretty sure that once he hits puberty and gets more hair generally, he will probably have a unibrow or something close to it. I would have no problem taking my son to a salon to wax it if he wanted when he's older.

Personally, though -- I've been waxing my eyebrows for years. It lasts a long time, sometimes 6 weeks or so, and the hair grows in finer and finer the more you keep up the waxing. Eventually the hair might not grow back at all -- I know that I have a lot less hair in some parts of the waxed areas than I did when I began waxing as a teenager.

It's really not a bad thing, and a good salon will be sensitive to the needs and feelings of an adolescent boy. They will also let you ask lots of questions and will try to help you and your son feel better about the process. But I'm for anything that will help a child's self-esteem, and if he really feels strongly about this and is self-conscious about his eyebrows, then I say go for it!

Hi E.,
I've been waxing for years so have nothing against it; however, I'm tempted to suggest that you just pluck his eyebrows for now. Waxing will tend to give him a 'perfect' look, which I'm not sure is too natural looking, especially for a boy.

Just my thoughts...

Best,

it's his choice.
waxing hair comes in thinner over time.
electrolosis i really know nothing about.

Pluck

Wax

or shave NO it WONT grow in courser the roots are the roots mens hair gets courser as they age. When it grows back people THINK it grows back courser, My son has shaved so he does not have a UNIBROW for several years already.

He did it on his own and he looks better and feels better about himself

so do what he feels best with

1 / 3