"Mommy, I Hurt When I Pee Pee"

My 4 yr old daughter has had many uninary tract infections already. We have had tests run to see if there are any blokcages and there are none. But, she continues to have them. We can always tell when one is setting in due to her going to the bathroom more and wetting her pull up at night. Just this morning she said, mommy, my pee pee hurts. I need some advice on how I can keep this from happening? Are there any remedies other than cranberry juice and anti-biotics?

Thanks so very much for all of your advice. I have bought some cranberry juice this evening. Both of my children stayed with grandma and grandpa last night. She drank her juice (diluted with water) and loved it. I haven't heard any complaints yet today. I will definately keep ya'll posted.

My daughter used to get those all the time also when she was little. The doctors told me not to let her get in a bubble bath or sit in the tub too long when I would give her a bath. It's something to do with the soap or shampoo that would make her get a UTI. So I started giving her showers and she didn't have anymore UTI's. So I don't know if you've tried that or not, but if not then try it and see how that works. Btw...my daughter is 9 now and hasn't had one for about 4 yrs now since she started taking showers. I hope this helps you some.

I used to get them frequently. Don't let her sit in the bathtub for long. And don't use bubble bath. Those two things should help. They do me. I haven't had one in awhile, knock on wood, but that seems to keep them at bay. Hope this helps.

S.,

Have your daughter drink plenty of water a day. I know exactly how she feels I have had the same problem since I was a young girl. And mine always turns into a kidney infection in my right kidney. I find that drinking alot of water and limiting my soda helps alot.

Kim

Umm I would probaly take her to get another opinion, especially if she gets them alot. The only other thing I could tell u is water and LOTS OF IT, but I would definatly take her to a specialist or something.. Sometimes we have to go above the peds.. Good luck and please let us kow what comes out of this.. In my prayers!!

I posted this to someone else who was asking about the surgery and other options available, hope it helps you out!
"Hi,
My friend's daughter had the same thing, in fact, she just stopped wearing the "special" underwear a few years ago because the surgery made her incontinent and she ended up getting all kinds of UTI's afterwards anyway. She was 6 also when she had the surgery. I told her to get her on some cranberry pills. She thought I was crazy, but was desperate! Her daughter would get 4-5 UTI's every month without fail. She'd have maybe 2-3 days inbetween infections. She put her on cranberry pills and her daughter went for 4 months without 1 UTI! She now sees a Chiropracter who also does natural medicine and put her daughter on a few other herbs. Their healthcare costs are almost nothing (herbs are A LOT cheapter than prescriptions) and her daughter hasn't had a UTI in 1 1/2 years.
I know that there are a few natural health (or Homeopathic) doctors around here, you may want to try that first."
Good luck with that!
Y.

The above mentioned tub baths and bubble baths are a definite no-no with little girls, also try to avoid all carbonated and caffienated drinks. Also buy white unscented toilet paper. The dyes and perfumes may cause a problem. My son has a urethral reflux which is totally different, but he has to avoid all the above to keep infections down. I hope you find a resolution as I know how painful UTI's are.

She might have a structural problem...that should be addressed by a Urologist. They can do as simple of a test as an ultrasound to see if there is anything causing the problem. I would discuss it with your pediatrician. As far as home remedies...lemonade is also good...the acidity helps prevent bacterial growth...works along the same lines as cranberry juice. Also, don't let her soak in the tub...it is terrible as what child doesn't love a good bubble bath??? But especially for girls...bubble baths can promote infections. I hope she is feeling better. Take care.

Have you tried yogurt? That could be helpful. Also, has your doctor had her checked for "kidney reflus" (technically known as vesicoureteral reflux). That's when the ureter tubes between the bladder and the kidneys allow fluid to "reflux" back up into the tubes instead of it being a one way street from the kidneys to the bladder. Our son had that, and it was only discovered because he was so young (6 weeks) when he got a UTI. They tested him because he was so young. Often it goes undetected and then kidney damage can result (which won't show up until the child is in their teens or later - when it's too late to do anything about it). If she hasn't been tested for this, I'd highly recommend you ask your doctor to authorize the test. I hope everything's fine though, and I'll pray for you. Blessings.

1 / 3