Mold in Garbage Disposal???

So every time I turn on my garbage disposal it smells like mold or like something has been rotting in there. Have any of you experienced this? Do you have a fix? I've tried putting ice and lemons in the garbage disposal and turning it on and neither seem to help. I'd appreciate any help or advice you can give me.

I agree with the bleach. I watched a home care show on tv one time and people could call in asking questions and this was one of them. The expert said that at least 4 times a week, we should put a half cup of bleach in the garbage disposal and let it sit for a minute then rinse/run it with hot water. I do this religiously and never have that funky smell in there any more.

I don't use bleach b/c it gives me a headache.

A few tricks. Every time you have boiling water, dump it in the drain with the disposal. You caand dump baking soda down there too on occasion.

I also throw ice down there and run the disposal...it is supposed to clean the blades of food.

I also cut up lemons that I have left over and run them through the disposal.

I use Clorox routinely to keep the germs, mold, and gunk away.

I will "clorox" mine about once a month and if I have citrus that is starting to go bad I will put it down to keep it smelling decent.

KG,

We had this amazingly gross smelling disposal in a new move in once.... I tried and tried everything to no avail. Then I finally stuck my hand down in it (when it was off of course) and found the last renters' dirty dish rag down there getting beaten up and being VERY smelly. I'd look for one of those. :) I hope your fix is that easy!

V.

Hi KG - You've got all the answers you need to get the gunk out. I dont use my SonicScrubber for very much but it does great getting into the disposal. My only tip would be to not forget to scrub under the rim and under the rubber seal.

A very close friend of ours is a Master Plumber and he harps on us all the time about putting food down the disposal. He says disposals were not created for total food disposal and that it is specifically for the remnants that make is down there and clog up your sink. That being said, here are a couple of things I have discovered that keep the sink smelling good. Try orange peels, for some reason, I have had better luck with oranges over lemons. There are also little disposal balls you can get at the grocery store that you put down your disposal every few days to keep it smelling fresh (wish I could remember the name of them, but they are pretty easy to find).
I have used Drano before too, that will help push whatever is stuck down there through (don't tell my plumber friend, he doesn't like that stuff either). Also, if you stop putting food down your drain, whatever is down there will eventually decompose and go away.

Hope that helps. Good luck

dump your coffee grinds in with a splash of water and leave it for a while (hours). then grind it down. we do this every few days. the acid breaks down the food particles-works really well!

1 / 3