Mixing Juice with Milk?

I am trying to wean my 1 year old from nursing. She won't drink milk or soy milk at all. She never would drink formula. I have tried mixing it with cereal, new cups and bottles. She just spits it out and gets mad. She likes juice, so last night I mixed the milk with juice and she liked it! My husband pointed out that the milk might become curdled from the juice and could be bad for her. I called the docter today and talked to the nurse. She had no new suggestions for me and said that the milk/juice would not harm her, but could giver her a 'sour belly'. She seemed fine after drinking it last night. I'm wondering if any moms out there have done this with their kids, or just have some good ideas for me? Thanks for listening!

Thank you moms for all your responses! I should have mentioned that she likes to 'drink' something, but straight juice gives her diarrhea. She is on the petite side, so I don't like the idea of only giving her water. I hope to replace the nursing with another way for her to satisfy her desire to drink/suck while still getting some protien and calories. This is why I really wanted to go to milk. She is a great eater and gets her nutients through her solid diet very well.(Though she will not eat yogurt yet.) I have been giving her one bottle or sippy cup of milk mixed with juice for a few days now. I don't notice it bothering her stomach, even though it does look kind of gross in the bottle. I may try a flavored milk, but I think the reason she likes this is she thinks it's juice. She calls it juice and claps! If anyone else has insight I would love to hear. I have not stopped nursing because I am still unsure of this drink. I have been nursing or pregnant or both for more than three years now and am ready to be done!

Have you tried different kinds of milk? Like whole, 2%, 1% or Skim. If you are using whole milk, it might be to thick for him.

I had the same problem with one of my children. Instead of juice, try the strawberry Quik (or one of the more nutritious versions) that are supposed to be mixed with milk. I then used less and less strawberry powder and eventually my son became a really good plain milk drinker!

Try putting the breast milk in a sippy cup or a cup with a straw. It is proabably the difference in the taste that she doesn't like. Avoid using the bottle if at all possible. My daughter weaned herself at 10 months - but went straight to a cup. Sure beat trying to wean from the bottle in a few months too!

I'm not so sure about the mixing juice with milk either. When I read your request I thought maybe you could try this. Mix the milk with those flavor packets that you mix with bottles of water. There are many brands to choose from. Benefiber, Fruit2O, Crystal Light, Kool-Aid, Gatorade, along with several generic brands make these packets and are available at any grocery store. There are also several brands that add vitamins and are natural products like Stevita. Most have very little, if any, sugar or sugar substitutes added so you won't have to worry about a "sugar rush", especially before bed, or her teeth getting damaged. I've tried several of these, along with my girls, and we all agree the Crystal Light ones are the best. They have a huge variety of flavors and you can also buy them in sugar free and in containers that are made for mixing with 2 pints (half gallon). After you find flavors that she agrees with, you could buy the bigger packs, which will save money, and mix them in larger quantities or half them and make only one pint at a time. They also make flavored drink mixes in larger containers like Tang and Country Time. I'm not so sure about how well they will mix with milk though.
I'm sure you've probably already thought of this, but if all else fails, you can mix it with products like Nesquik and Ovaltine. I have read on many sites, that although most parents are reluctant to give their children flavored milk, the benefits the child gets from the milk greatly outweigh the small amounts of extra sugar. Ovaltine also provides many vitamins and minerals your child needs anyway. Chocolate milk also provides slightly more iron and fiber than plain milk. You can purchase many flavors such as strawberry, vanilla and banana, too. They also make reduced sugar versions. If you prefer, with any of these options you can add less product than recommended. If it suggests you mix 2 tablespoons with an 8 ounce glass, mix one tablespoon instead. It will still add a slight flavor, but less sugar. Keep adding a little at a time until she will drink it. Hope you find something that works! Good Luck!

Hi J..

I'm having the same issue with my 1 yr old. I tried mixing juice and milk, but unfortunately it did not sit well in her stomach.

As mentioned in other responses, there are many alternative sources of Calcium. It's the milk fat, which is important for brain development, that I struggle with.

Does your little girl like Yobaby yogurt? I've been mixing the yogurt with milk and my baby loved it at first! Now, I think she's bored... she's only drinking about half of what I give her. :( Yobaby also makes smoothies, but I'm not sure if it contains as much milk fat as the yogurt.

Hope this helps. I'd love to know if you find a solution.

No I've never done that but I will say that neither of my children liked milk to begin with. I did however do what your doing with formula and milk. It was one of those things that I had to keep offering. I started off with mostly formula in the bottle along with some milk then lessening it more and more until it was all milk. They both eventually liked milk.

I don't know about mixing juice with milk, but I do know that there is a big difference between breast milk and dairy milk. Breast milk is sweeter and body temperature. I nursed all 3 of my children and had the same trouble with 2 of them. What I did was to warm the 2% milk and added a little sugar to it. After a couple of days I would reduce the sugar and the temperature a little. I did that until they were drinking plain cold milk. It worked with both of mine, hope it works for you.

well that is what happens as soon as your milk hits your stomach, so... if she digs it and doesn't have an upset stomach, why not?

good luck

1 / 3