Mixing Baby Cereal with Breastmilk Vs. Water

I am looking for advice on mixing the baby cereal with water. I have been mixing the cereal with breastmilk for 2-3 weeks now. Has anyone started with breastmilk and then switched to water??? The reason I would like to switch to water is because I am using a lot of milk storage bags only saving an onuce to mix with his cereal. Any suggestions on storing an ounce of milk that would be more cost effective???

Thanks for all the ideas on how to store my milk, as well as what worked for you as far as the water was concerned. This is my first time using this and I love it. Thanks again. J.

In the beginning I was using breast milk to mix with cereal but then I switched to water. You will find that baby has days when he just doesn't want cereal and now you've already wasted the liquid gold in the wasted cereal. I used bottled water from the beginning. You shouldn't have a problem making the switch. Good luck. D.

I would try freezing some breastmilk in an ice cube tray then when frozen put it in a freezer bag. Then take out only what you need. I did this with baby food when we first introduced new foods. it worked well. Good luck

mom of 4

Ice cube trays! Pour pumped milk into an ice cube tray. Once it is frozen you can store it in a large freezer bag then thaw one cube until ready to use.

When I was nursing, I did switch to water occasionally and my son didn't have a problem with it. Of course every child is different, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try :) Good luck!

I used those little 4 ounce plastic bottles that attach right to breast pumps. The milk is good for a week in the fridge, and I believe the bottles might actually be freezer safe too.

Could you just not store it and express or pump it fresh into his cereal? Or if he goes to a daycare just pump some milk in a bottle for just that day.

We used ice cube trays. They perfectly hold 1 ounce, great for mixing cereal or when you start making your own baby food. They make ziploc freezer bags big enough to fit the whole tray.

just store in a bottle-put it in the fridge-when neded shake it up and take the amount that you need. otherwise I would say use formula not just water

Hello,

I used the Medela containers for storing some milk. I am not sure if you can just buy those by themselves, but I think other companies make containers for breastmilk. The ones I had were just 5 oz so they worked well for 1-2 oz too. But eventually I did use water and I had free samples of formula so sometimes I would mix that in.

Because I need every last drop for his bottles at daycare and did not want to raid my freezer supply, I started using water in his cereal relatively early on (he's 8 months old). He was fine with it and I think it is fine too.

You can store breastmilk in an ice cube tray - each cube is 1 ounce, and you can even find ice cube trays that come with lids. I had picked one up at a baby store in Portland, OR & used it for breast milk when i only pumped a little bit, and later when I was making baby food.

I began with breastmilk and switched to water due to pumping difficulties. As long as baby is still nursing enough, the doctor told me that water is fine. Also, if you use refrigerated, non-frozen breastmilk, taking 2-3 days to use a small bag isn't usually a problem.

I also used a mixture of pear juice and water some days, after my son was ready to start very small amounts of juice.

I used water in the rice cereal for my daughter, and she was just fine. (I didn't put formula in it because I never had any around -- she wouldn't take a bottle.) I didn't think it was worth the effort and time to pump just for cereal. I am a stay-at-home mom, and wasn't pumping for daycare anyhow, so it didn't make sense for me.

Our son has always been a little thin (tall, but thin) -- so when I started cutting back on my pumping we switched to apple juice instead of water, just to give a little extra calories where we can. Also, we rarely offer juice to him in a cup (just mainly milk and water). We started that around 9 months and he is almost a year and still loves it.

I used a bottle and kept a couple ounces in it at a time.