Mixing Baby Cereal with Breastmilk Vs. Water

I am looking for advice on mixing the baby cereal with water. I have been mixing the cereal with breastmilk for 2-3 weeks now. Has anyone started with breastmilk and then switched to water??? The reason I would like to switch to water is because I am using a lot of milk storage bags only saving an onuce to mix with his cereal. Any suggestions on storing an ounce of milk that would be more cost effective???

Thanks for all the ideas on how to store my milk, as well as what worked for you as far as the water was concerned. This is my first time using this and I love it. Thanks again. J.

In the beginning I was using breast milk to mix with cereal but then I switched to water. You will find that baby has days when he just doesn't want cereal and now you've already wasted the liquid gold in the wasted cereal. I used bottled water from the beginning. You shouldn't have a problem making the switch. Good luck. D.

I would try freezing some breastmilk in an ice cube tray then when frozen put it in a freezer bag. Then take out only what you need. I did this with baby food when we first introduced new foods. it worked well. Good luck

mom of 4

Ice cube trays! Pour pumped milk into an ice cube tray. Once it is frozen you can store it in a large freezer bag then thaw one cube until ready to use.

When I was nursing, I did switch to water occasionally and my son didn't have a problem with it. Of course every child is different, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try :) Good luck!

I used those little 4 ounce plastic bottles that attach right to breast pumps. The milk is good for a week in the fridge, and I believe the bottles might actually be freezer safe too.

Could you just not store it and express or pump it fresh into his cereal? Or if he goes to a daycare just pump some milk in a bottle for just that day.

We used ice cube trays. They perfectly hold 1 ounce, great for mixing cereal or when you start making your own baby food. They make ziploc freezer bags big enough to fit the whole tray.

just store in a bottle-put it in the fridge-when neded shake it up and take the amount that you need. otherwise I would say use formula not just water

1 / 3