Mirror Image Writing - Paducah,KY

My 4 year old will write her name as a complete mirror image and with in a minute write it correctly with out me prompting her. When she was barely 4 she could verbally spell familiar words back words if asked. Is this normal or cause for concern?

I found a couple of articles that may help you:
http://www.todaysparent.com/schoolage/article.jsp?content...

http://life.familyeducation.com/cognitive-development/ear...

I'm no expert, but I'd say she's fine. I used to do it all the time, for fun, to kind of test myself. I'd write whole pages upside down and mirror image just because I could. If you do a search, you will see that many people see that as a "developmental problem" that she will grow out of, and many consider the ability a gift.

I wouldn't say it's normal, but I don't think you need to worry about it. If she can tell the difference between the two, then she is still working those things out in her brain. It sounds like she knows the "right" way to write her name and spell words, but is also able to do it backwards. If she can't distinguish between the two and it continues for a while, then you might ask her doctor or teacher if she is in school. But it is normal for children beginning to write to have backwards letters and words. You shouldn't worry about dyslexia or other issues unless it doesn't go away.

Not only is it totally normal, it is often a sign of left handedness or ambidextrousness (using both hands). (That info comes from an occupational therapist I once worked with. As an art teacher, I have found that these children are usually more aware of their surroundings, have advanced skills and have neater work.

Beth

I work with 4-year-olds and this is completely acceptable at that age. It actually sounds like you daughter is well ahead of average if she can correct herself. We always encourage parents to accept whatever writing a child presents without judgement at that age.

Yes it is a normal step children go through. Thats not saying every child will do this. My oldest did not but my youngest did. She has perfect writing (most of the time) now. Just keep working with her.

my son did this too. his reading and writing is great now, one year later. sometimes he still writes a letter backward... but trust me, i've seen his peers in his kindergarten class and it is totally normal!! don't stress over it, and don't make her feel bad. my 3 year old daughter writes from right to left sometimes, and sometimes the other way. yes, it's normal. just praise her a lot when she writes it in the right direction.

Totally normal. Don't worry about it at all. I honestly think it's pretty amazing that kids brains work that way.

Is she left handed? My 20yo daughter is left-handed and wrote perfect mirror image at about that age for a while. She eventually stopped & no problems at all and no therapies. It was just a phase she went through. And the odd thing, she didn't even notice she was doing it, LOL.

Now the verbally spelling, I didn't try with her but that is interesting.

1 / 3