Mirena vs Implanon

Hello, I recently just gave birth to my first child, a precious little girl and now I am trying to figure out what birth control method to use. I have been interested in the Mirena IUD method and am pretty familiar with how that works, it last for 5 years which is fine with me. I have a close friend that has one got one after her last child and she has been very pleased with it. When I talked to my Gyno about that she said
that was fine but asked if I had heard about this other method called Implanon, and it is inserted in under the skin in your arm and last for 3 yrs. What I want to know is if there is anyone out there who has tried these out and what they thought about them?

hello J.. i am 22yrs. of age. i have been on all kinds of birth control. i liked the mirena, but my girlfriend got pregnate. she couldn't have it removed until her son was born. when he was born, the iud was stuck to his head. he is fine, but it was kinda weird to see the baby with this thing stuck to his head. now inplanon made me gain soooo much weight. i think that the method of firth control that i like the best is ortho tricycline. the pill. i didn't gain any weight and it works the best for me. if you have any more questions, just write me back.

I've heard that you gain weight with the implants. I have a Mirena IUD, which I've had for over a year now, and I love it! No periods at all for me, just a little spotting for a few days every few months. The only thing is, when you a ready for your 2nd child, you should have the IUD removed and wait 1 year for the lining of your uterus to go back to normal. Otherwise, the thin lining of the uterus will not hold the baby, and you will probably miscarry.

I haven't had either one my husband got fixed instead. I do know that alot of my friends that choose to do the implant, they have had trouble ever since. the things with it is that not being able to stay pregant, alot of weight gain, and alot of trouble in the female area such as heavier periods, bleeding for long periods at a time. I do have a few friends who have the iud and they love no trouble at all.
hope this helps

I had a mirena iud for 2 years and loved it. After about 6 months my periods completely stopped. The only reason I had it taken out is because we wanted to try for another baby, and I'm pregnant now. I've actually decided to go back to the iud after the birth of this one instead of getting my tubes tied.

Hi, I gave birth to my daughter 6 years ago and I had so many complications after birth that the doctor didn't want me to even consider having anymore children for another 7 years. So I had an IUD, it was okay for the first few months, but it got worse and worse. I had very HEAVY bleeding, I was going through 2 pads an hour. I had awful leg cramps and other cramps, it was a mess. However, they always say every person's body is different. So it may not be the same and you probably never can tell until you try it. There are so many forms of birth control out there these days, I'm not sure if any of them are good choices, because they all have their side effects. I hope yours is a success. God bless!

I have the Mirena IUD and I like it very well. It is something that took about 30 mins in the office and never had to worry about it again. I had a friend that got the implant in her arm, it went in her upper arm and she disliked it alot. She could feel it all the time and her arm was sore. She wished after she got the implant that she would have got the IUD. That is all I know and hopefully you can get a little more information on it.

I have used Mirena for approximately one year, since the birth of my first child and it has been a dream. I have had problems in the past with pills, etc. that contain higher hormone levels. I have not had any side effects to the lower dosage amounts of hormone within Mirena. Also, no other complications. The best part about it is what you already mentioned. It's in for five years and there is nothing that you have to "do" to stay protected. All and all I am thrilled. I don't know anything about the Implanon option.

Personally I would go with the Mirena which has a better track record. I have never heard of Implanon and I just had a baby last year. They used to have another birth control that went in your arm, and my friend who had it, hated it.

Congrats on your baby girl! Google both and see more about the Implanon. One thing about the Mirena if after 3 yrs you and hubby decide you want another baby, mirena comes out and there you go.

I have the Mirena. I gained a little weight at first, but it is starting to change. I am 37, however, so it could be my time to gain. I have lost 3 of the 7 pounds gained. I have had ovarian cysts, which are common with the Mirena. They form, grow, and then rupture within 3 months. It seems that they keep forming and rupturing. I have no pain, however....and no periods!

1 / 3