Mirena IUD and Breastmilk Supply Question

Does anyone have personal background on whether getting the Mirena IUD that has small amounts of hormones in it causes any decrease or plateau on breastmilk supply?

I ended up getting the IUD at the end of March and have had it in for 2 1/2 months. A couple of weeks after I got the IUD I noticed a drop in my milk supply but that was when my son was 4 months old; the pediatrician said a lot of moms experience a lowering in milk supply for a couple of weeks right around that time and that I should just persist through it. I started pumping an extra time every day at bedtime to help boost my supply. I am having no issues at all with my milk supply at this point. If I don't drink enough water I notice I get less at that nightly pumping, but I just pumped at work and got 8 ozs. I had the medical library researcher at the hospital where I work do a search about Mirena IUD and milk supply. The studies I read were reassuring to me before I got the IUD. One of them "A comparative study of the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system Mirena versus the Copper T380A intrauterine device during lactation: breast-feeding performance, infant growth, and infant development" (Contraception 72 (2005) 346-351 said: "The findings of the current study confirm that the use of LNG-20 mcg IUS (Mirena) during the first postpartum year in lactating women provides highly effective and acceptable contraception and doesn not negatively influence breast-feeding or the growth and development of breast-fed infants." My OB said if I had issues with my milk supply I could always get the IUD taken out. I would recommend the Mirena to anyone - I waited until my son was 3 1/2 months old to get it and I did experience a 2 week drop in milk supply when he was 4 months old but that resolved with extra pumping and watching my water intake and making sure I was eating enough. Thanks for your feedback - both for and against the IUD. I weighed my decision very carefully thanks to the input I received! Thanks again!

I have the mirena and had no problems with milk supply. It did not decrease or increase my milk supply. I hope this helps.

Hey I went on the IUD when I was breastfeeding and had no problems. My Dr. actually said it could help out. Hope that helps.

I also had it put in when my 3rd baby was 6wks old. I stopped breastfeeding her by choice around 6 months. I was still producing milk pretty well, so it was hard to wean her. I never noticed my milk supply diminishing while on Mirena. The only thing that diminished was my period (and that was awesome!).

Twice I had one put after having a baby and breastfed for a full year both times with no supply issues.

I was under the impression that the Mirena IUD was not recommended for breastfeeding mothers, but the patient info on it states to "tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding." It does have the same hormones as traditional birth control pills, only smaller amounts that are typically just localized in the uterus, but I suspect that some people would be more sensitive to the hormones than other. I believe it could be possible that it is having an effect on your milk production.

You mentioned you just returned to work, but didn't mention if you are pumping milk. A pump is not as effective at getting out all the milk your baby would, so if you are pumping, it could also be that you're just getting enough out and that is causing the decrease. Or just the stress of returning to work, less time with your baby, etc. Just a thought.

Mirena is a progesterone based birth control so it shouldnt affect your milk production. However, many things can affect your milk production. Not pumping properly (if you pump exclusively you should be pumping every 3 hours around the clock), taking some over the counter medications such as sudafed, even some herbal teas can affect your milk supply.

I have the Mirena IUD and I havent had a problem with my milk supply.

If you do choose to get Mirena and you experience some decrease in your milk supply, look into fenugreek. Its a herbal suppliment that can increase your supply. Oatmeal is something else I have heard that can help with your milk supply.

HTH

I had a Mirena put in at my 6 week post partum appointment. I was told that it should not interfere with my milk production. However when my son was approx 5 months old my milk just stopped coming in for no reason. I tried feeding him frequently and pumping to bring my supply back up but had no luck. I eventually just had to stop nursing. Other than that I have been satisfied with that form of BC. I did notice I had several of the side effects that all the Mirena literature says only 10% of women experience. I may just be part of that 10% and that is why if effected my milk, who knows.

I work full time and my son gets only breastmilk. I got Mirena over a month ago and it hasn't affected my milk supply. I spotted for the whole month after, but it wasn't too bad. I really like the Mirena. I am still able to pump 12-16 ounces during an 8 hour work day.

Remember to eat every couple hours and drink lots of water at work. I know you can get busy and forget, but in my opinion not eating and drinking enough is why your milk supply will dwindle when you go back to work.

1 / 3