Mirena IUD - Houston,TX

I'm thinking about getting this. Has anyone gotten it? How is it?

I have had one for 3.5 yrs now and I love it. No cycle, very little cramping. Will replace it at the 5 yr mark!!

I have Mirena and I have not had any problems. I also had the Copper T, and that was okay, but caused fairly heavy periods. Mirena pretty much stopped my periods except for a day or two of very light bleeding. I would recommend it to anyone,it has been great for me. The only thing is that for the first three months there is sporadic bleeding, and I was afraid I would be on my period for the rest of my life. My doctor said this was normal and if I stuck with it the bleeding would stop and I wouldn't notice the periods hardly. He was correct. I love it.

I've had one for about a year. I chose the Mirena over the copper one because we plan to have another child within the next 2 years. I had a little discomfort when it was inserted. The only issue I've had is that the strings somehow disappeared into my uterus. I had to have an ultrasound done to make sure it was still in place. But the Dr. said that it happens sometimes and that it won't cause problems when it comes time for removal...just a little more discomfort. After having giving birth I'm sure I can deal with it. It made me a little nervous that I couldn't check to make sure it was still there but I have not had any issues otherwise. I'm definitely planning to have another IUD after my next child....no more pills for me!!

Yes, I have had one for a little over 2 years. I am very happy with it. All my friends were getting tubal ligation, and I did not want surgery, or the pain they went through after, and its nice to know if I ever wanted another one I can have it removed. I was a little more uncomfortable than a pelvic exam, but I wouldn't say painful. I don't have regular periods, they slowed down right after I got it.Like, fewer days and lighter flow. Now I only need pantiliners when I have a period, because it's like (not to be gross) a heavy discharge. But I used to have a heavy period with bad cramps, so it is so nice to not worry about that anymore! I would definitely urge you to get one, esp. if your other option was a tubal. I hope this helps! P.S. If you are not with a steady partner, I'd ask my doctor if it was right for you.

I do not have it myself, but my OB recommended to me. She has it herself, and she said that she likes it better than having to remember to take a pill every day.
I just don't like the thought of having it in there in the first place... I know it sounds weird, but I just think it might fall out? I don't know.
But if an OB uses it, it must be ok.

Hi D.--I am a Certified Nurse Midwife and I insert the Mirena about 4 times every 2 months. My clients love it, but it's not for everyone. A woman not planning on a baby for about 5 years is generally a good candidate. The protocols used to include only married women, because of the risk of STD's, but now we know that the Mirena can actually have some protective effect against STD's. Condom use for occasional partners is still highly recommended.
Very few women do not tolerate the device, and request removal within 6 months or so. The complaint is lower abdominal pain. Some women are distressed by the common (and expected) situation of no periods. The small amount of progestin in the device is absorbed by the uterus, and will lead to no cramps and decreased bleeding over time. I have a nice DVD with patient info that explains all of this.
good luck-Kathy

PS--I just read the other responses to your note, and noticed that several women complained of painful insertion. I take longer than the 3 seconds that one woman said her OB/GYN does, and monitor my client's reaction. Most say--You're done already? Usually, not even any cramping--BUT--I am a midwife, not an OB/GYN!

I had the Mirena IUD put in exactly one week ago. I have been having minor cramps, but they are tolerable. The procedure is really quick. I want to say it only takes about 5-10 minutes for the entire procedure. The placing of the IUD only takes about 3 seconds for the OB/GYN to insert it. A 6-week check up is required to reassess. I don't know about other OB's but my Dr. had me to call the day my cycle started. My appointment was the next day and almost immediately after the procedure it started to fade away. I use a panty-liner because there could be spotting for up to 6 mos. However, I haven't had anything like that yet.

I would recommend getting if you plan to have a baby within the next 3-5 years.

have it. love it. the first few months i experienced a little cramping and irregular (but light periods) and some sexual positions weren't as comfortable as in the past (part of this a ascribe to having just given birth and breastfeeding too). but then in the fourth month it was like heaven. no cramps, light cycles (some lasting only a half day) and i can have all the sex i want any way i want and not have to worry about when i took a pill or if the condom breaks. it's a happy thing.

I got mine about a week ago and I love it!! I have had no problems. I have a friend who go the "copper T" and she cramped alot for several weeks after she got hers. I have spotted a little (which they say is normal for the first couple of months) and I was a little crampy the evening I got it. Otherwise I don't even know its there. It wasn't painful when my doctor put it in either. I hope this helps you!

1 / 3