MiniVan Cargo Space

I'm looking into buying a minivan but it looks like there isn't enough cargo space. I have a 3 y/o, a 1 y/o and pregnant with our 3rd (due in September). To say the least, I'm going to need to lug around my double stroller (which is an Instep jogging stroller). Can anyone give me insight on cargo space in minivans? Or do I have to buy a big SUV for the cargo room?

I ended up getting a VW Routan. A mini van really does have a lot of cargo space. I was driving an Envoy with 3rd row seating prior but with the 3rd row up, there was barely any space for a stroller. I'm very happy with our decision and thank you all for your opinions and comments, which helped us out tremendously.

I have 4 kids & have a full size ford conversion van (bigger than a minivan). Just another option for you to think about. Its great in the winter or rain, I dont have to get out of the van at all to strap everyone in. These vans are not easy to find so if you are interested send me a message. Congrats on baby #3.

We have three little ones also. Mine are 5, 4, and 1. We just (after tons of online research and also car shopping) got a Toyota Sienna, and I would highly recommend it. We got a 2005 LE 8 seat minivan. In the 8 seat version each of the 3 seats in the middle is like a captain's chair (with the latch system in each one), so it can fit 3 car seats across no problem (something I really liked about it. I can have all three kids in the middle row where I can reach them if necessary and don't have to climb over seats or wiggle back to get to one of them.) The other thing we were looking at, like you are, is cargo room. Even with the 3rd row all up there is a lot of room to fit a big stroller and more. And since we have all three in the middle, we can even fold the 3rd row down (which folds flat into the floor, not just folding over) and have much more room! They get great reviews and are very reliable.

I have a Honda Odyssey. I have older kids, so I have to look at the seating space as well as the storage and last time we looked, the Honda had more room in the back than the Toyota. We have never had any storage problems and we've driven on many vacations taking all kinds of stuff.

Before the Honda we had a Grand Caravan and we had to get rid of it because we spent so much on repairs. Things like the air conditioning, the expensive items that shouldn't break after 3 years.

I would NOT get an SUV! You know how much it would suck to have a 3rd car seat in an SUV?????
We have a Chrysler Town & Country (same as the Dodge Caravan) and it is great. It has stow & go seats meaning that each seat folds flat to the floor. If your stroller doesn't fit in the cargo compartment (which it actually probably would as it's a pretty big space, you can fold one of the rear seats down for additional space and still have 4 seats (at least in our car - we have 2 bucket seats in the back and a 2/1 split seat in the far back).
We picked the minivan over an SUV because we knew we wanted another baby after our last so we'll have 2 car seats plus a teenager and it really would stink for him to have to hop into a 3rd row seat which has zero leg room over to little ones.
The minivan is the way to go and there's not a better minivan out there than the ones from Chrysler/Dodge!

I recommend either the Toyota or Honda minivan.
I have had two Dodge minivans (the second one needed new transmission at 49000 miles) and our Toyota Sienna minivan currently has 146000 miles on it and has not needed any major work on it (still has original transmission). We have three kids...have carried strollers, bicycles, kids with large instruments to music camp and college...there is good storage space...sometimes we slide seats out of our minivan if we are hauling large items (recently picked up new washing machine at hardware store). Enjoy your adventures with your minivan!
C. L
Mom of three (string bass, cello, bari saxophone etc)

We have a Chrysler Town & Country Limited and a Yukon Denali XL. And 4 kids 6 and under. I feel there is more cargo room in the Town & Country. In the Yukon, if I have my double stroller back there I kick myself every time I go to the grocery store for forgetting to take it out since there really isn't any room for groceries. No problems with this in the Town & Country.

I have a Nissan Quest and LOVE it! There is PLENTY of cargo room. I fit a double stroller in with no problem at all and there is still room for diaper bags etc.

I used to have a Dodge Durango and would have issues getting the double stroller in when the third row was up.

We have a toyota and love it...3 kids in 3 1/2 years so we too have to lug around big strollers.

Go with a minivan! You will love being able to push a button to open and close the doors. It's much easier to load the kids into a minivan than into an SUV. Believe me your back will thank you :)
We have a Honda Odyssey and love it!!!

hi K., go with Toyota Sienna. I'm in the same boat, have 2 kids and third due in a couple of weeks. My husband did a lot of research and the Toyota Sienna and Honda Odyssey are best mini vans, you can remove one of the seats if you want more cargo room.
Out of the two, Sienna is getting better reviews, people are complaining about the transmission in Honda's, which can be pricey to replace.
So, we're going this weekend to buy the Sienna....

Chrysler Town and Country's have the largest cargo space available. They are a good used car buy because they often have upgrades as standard equipment, like leather seating and a moonroof. I am on my second one and have been generally pleased.

SMILE On!

ML

1 / 3