Milk Protein Allergy

My 5 month old son has a milk protein allergy and is on Neocate formula. I have stared feeding him cereal and feel that he is ready for more. I am afraid that starting other foods could cause other allergies. Are there any moms who have babies with this allergy and when did you begin foods?

I started with first foods. We are doing the veggies first, then fruits. He is tolerating it well. The only veggie that he did not like were the peas. We will try them again later. Thanks for all the great advice everyone.

My daughter was born 11-23-2006 and the only formula she can eat is lactose free. I started her on cereal at 31/2 months and fruits not long after that and she is doing fine. I know this might not be the same type of allergy but it might help.

my 8 month old is on nutramigen due to milk problems. if he has anything with milk in it he breaks out into a small rash on his face. i give him babyfoods and he is fine though. just try about a teaspoon of a new food and only one new food at a time for 2-3 days and then introduce a new one, etc.

You'll have to find out what he's allergic to sooner or later. If you feel he's ready, then go for it! You are his mother and you know what he needs and when.

My daughter also has milk protein allery and our family doctor started her on baby food at 5mths. She said I could give her jar food 3 times a day just to make sure she still gets her cereal everyday and continues with her bottle. Just make sure that you feed your baby one flavor a week so if she does have a reaction you can trace it. So if you start carrots on Monday you son can start peas the next Monday. Also you should introduce all veggies before the fruits. Hope this helps

My oldest daughter had a milk allergy. We didn't give her anything other than my dairy free breastmilk until she was nearly a year old. We started solids very slowly (at least a week between each new food) and watched carefully for signs of allergy with each one. We avoided highly allergenic foods until after she was two. She didn't develop any new allergies & actuallt outgrew her dairy allergy right around age 3!

M.,

My son also has a milk protein allergy and is on Simimac Alimentum formula. I tried solid foods at 5 months as well. Cereal first. He tolerated that so we went to Applesauce, squash, pears, bananas, sweet potatoes, prunes and now he is trying pees. He has done well so far. We just went for our 6 month Dr. appointment yesterday and we can now go to soy based formula per the Dr. since he is tolerating the foods so well. It is my understanding from our Dr. that a milk protein allergy is not so much an allergy to milk proteins but the in ability to digest them since their digestive systems are primitive compared to ours. Our Dr. told me that he was not at any higher risk of developing allergies to other foods because of this milk protein allergy. I hope this helps

I have 2 with food allergies. Here's what I learned. My son started with a complete milk allergy at birth. He wasnt diagnosed until 6 mos. We already had him on starter foods because it seemed he was never satisfied. Turns out that wasnt it at all and that it does make children more suseptible to food allergies. When my daughter was born we found out right away and kept her away from all milk products. We also followed the same feeding instructions we got for our son. No foods until after 6 mos. And then only foods you can mash with a fork. Bananas, peaches, things like that until they are up to finger foods. Then we fed her anything and she has not had anymore allergies at all. Her milk allergy is now just intolance. She can have it but in small quantiies. Also our pediatrician highly recommended and allergist but not until age 4. Their immune system is to immature until then. But we di and our son has had a much easier life since then. Now we know what to stay away from and he no longer gets sick. I hope this helps. Both of my children suffer from allergies but my daughter has benefited from my mistakes with my son and she is a much healthier child because of it. Oh and milk allergy is typically outgrown by age 3 but not always. You have to keep checking every 6 mos or so. Feel free to contact me if you have more questions. This is a subject I know well.

I have a daughter allergic to cow products who used soy formula and was breast fed.
I started rice cereal at 6 months, then banana, avocado (organci if possible because they have lots of pesticides in them otherwise) cooked sweet potato and other soft mashed foods. I used a little hand grinder that would turn cooked foods into mush in a few turns of the handle right at the table.

try to start as close to or after 6 months as possible, but you are the mom and you know when you're baby's not getting satisfied. start with low allergenic foods...avoid the major culprits ie...eggs, wheat, soy and i've even heard to avoid cinnamon and citrus fruits (wait til closer to a year or after for these) go very slowly when introducing the foods...wait about a week between introducing each food to detect an allergy. Both my sons have an assortment of allergies and this is what i found was best for them...of course i learned alot from the first for the second!!! good luck!

1 / 3