Milk : Is There Really a Difference in Brands, Organic, Etc.?

Hi Moms,

I have a daughter who will be transitioning from formula to milk in a few weeks. Is there really a difference in the brands or type of milk (organic, etc.) one can buy? I buy store brand for myself and my husband (Meijier, Target, Jewel)...but I'm not sure what to buy my daughter. Thoughts? I have Target/Archer Farms in the fridge now and the label states that the cows are not treated with rBST.

Yes, there is a difference. The Rolls-Royce of milk is grass-fed organic. Cows designed to eat grass and by doing so they pass on good Omega 3 fats to you as well as some other good stuff. Next in line would be organic. You do not want to drink antibiotics and hormones that have been given to a cow just because of bad animal husbandry practice. As a side note, we made organic milk a requirement at preschool. The reason the teachers allowed it is because 2 of them were lactose intolerant and they discovered that they could drink the organic milk (specifically the grass fed type- Omega 3's affect the inflammatory process) . Sorry this was so long, but I feel it is important information to pass on.

There is a huge difference between organic and commercially raised dairy cows, and there is a huge difference between what the milk is like for humans, especially small humans. Organic milk means that the cow has been raised with no antibiotics, no artificial hormones, and no petrochemicals in it's feed-pesticides, fungicides, herbicides, fertilizers, etc. Usually organic also means primarily grass fed cows--which are much healthier.

Since all the toxins that ARE present in non-organic dairy and are NOT present in organic dairy are fat soluble, these toxins will build up in the body, being released over time as the body fat gets utilized.

Among other things, among my three daughters, who had primarily organic dairy (and not lots of that, either), they did NOT develop puberty early, while about half their classmates (the ones who ate lots of fast food, lots of dairy from non-organic sources, a very "conventional American diet") were getting their first periods, bras, acted like pre-teens and were about a foot taller than the other girls (the ones with the organic diets) by 9-10 years old. The others, including my daughters, had more normal development around 11-12 or even later.

It's pretty scary, especially in this day and age when so many women end up with breast or other cancers--again, likely from fat-soluble toxins stored in fat dense tissues. I would stick with organic dairy, and I would consider just keeping the dairy levels down altogether, since it is not an essential food.

Yes, this is a touchy subject, and I am choosing not to read the other responses.

Food, Inc. is not a documentary. It's an opinion film that has an agenda. Oprah actually did a show about it last year and had both sides of the argument defending themselves. The fact is, no one knows for sure.

Here's what I can say definitively. When I was diagnosed with cancer after my daughter's birth 2 years ago, I asked my oncologist how to change my diet expecting them to tell me to switch to organic produce and free range chicken. All I was told was to get more protein in my diet to help preserve my strength.

Learn what Organic really means. Organic items can be treated with pesticides. Yep. It's the truth. There are pesticides that are approved by OMRI for use in organic food production.

Ask your pediatrician what their thoughts are and what scientific evidence supports your decision one way or another.

I am a recent cancer survivor. I have no idea what caused it, but none of the lymphoma experts I saw during my treatment were concerned about organic vs. non-organic foods, milk included.

There is no difference, just be sure it is whole milk so she is getting the correct level of fats, it is very important for brain development.

My kids and I have always drank kroger brand milk and are FINE!!

Lots and lots of differences, even between non-rbst milks. ((Although I'm what's called a "supertaster" so I don't know how true this is for everyone))

The "organic" milk in our area is pasteurized for scheisse. It goes sour within a day of opening it. So so SO gross.

Most storebrand milk tastes chemically/thin.

Trader Joes & Whole Foods storebrands, for some reason just tastes delicious.

Local milk tastes ice cream creamy.

All of these milks are non-rbst, pasteurized, and 2%.

Partly I'm sure it has to do with use by dates (as in how fresh the milk is)... which those dates vary a LOT. TJ's and WF's store brand use by dates are typically 30-60 days in the future, other storbrand milks are typically within 7-14 days. Which means their milks are older. Like leaving TJ's milk in the fridge for a month and a half and THEN drinking it.

And partly I'm sure it has to do with hold the milk was stored. Milk doesn't taste/texture the same defrosted as never frozen milk. Also, milks that have been allowed to warm up and cool down are more prone to going bad sooner. AND pasteurization processes vary (has to meet min standards in order to be known as pasteruzing, but the length of time & methods vary from dairy to dairy and company to company).

Personally I buy from TJ's & WF. I costs 1/3 as much as storebrand regular store in our area and is soooooo much better. They also cost a little less than local dairy milk, even though they're not *quite* as good... they're so close, and so much better than what I grew up with, that I'm really happy with them.

My three year old has NEVER had a glass of milk in her life......its not as important as they make you think. A little cheese, a little yogurt......

BTW, my three year old could climb Mt. Everest.....she is strong, meaty, little fat, and coordinated. She is very muscular.....you dont have to focus on milk...just focus on dairy.....

When you compare apples to apples the only difference is how long it has traveled to get to your grocery store. Same thing with eggs. Look for local dairys.

I think it's important to give her milk that is rBST free because rBST is a hormone that over time can affect her. Nothing has been proven yet but why take a chance?

I also suggest that organic is better, tho I'm not consistent about buying organic. Here is my reasoning. When I was a baby and a child and a young adult we did not have all the chemicals and hormones that are added to food now. Because my growth periods are over it's not so important for me to protect my body in that way. I recently began to eat raw organic fruits and vegetables because I have recently experienced food intolerances or perhaps allergies and am thinking that what my system is actually objecting to are the chemicals used in the foods production.

A couple of weeks ago my daughter tried organic pasteurized whole milk that was not homogenized. This means that the milk was processed at a lower temperature and that the cream separates out. She said the milk tastes a whole lot better. I'm guessing that since it was processed at a lower temperature it has the possibility of containing more nutrients.

Because my grandfather was a dairy farmer I started life with organic and unprocessed milk. I believe that raw milk could be the best for us but in today' s world of increased pathogens and bacteria I would not drink it.

1 / 3