Milk Coming Too Fast

I am breastfeeding my 10 week old baby girl and in the last few weeks my milk seems to be coming out too fast and overwhelming her. She chokes on it many times and lately she is refusing to feed. I don't blame the poor thing as it is probably so scary for her choking. The pediatrician recommended I lean back when feeding her. That doesn't seem to work. I do have her pretty upright when feeding so she is in better control. Any other ideas? It is breaking my heart to see her so upset and not eat.

Wow! You've gotten so many responses. If you continue to have issues with the choking, she may have reflux. Keep up the great work of Breastfeeding!

My baby did that until she was about 3 months old. She would get really upset, scream, and not eat at all. Sometimes the only way I could get her to eat was to pump it out and give it to her from a bottle. Maybe if you take her off while the milk is letting down, then put her back on it will help. Mine eventually got over the choking and getting mad, and now she's 6 months old, and let down does not bother her at all.

Same thing happened to me. My lactation consultant recommended pumping the first 5 minutes off each breast right before feeding my son, that way he wasn't choking and would get more hind milk (make him feel full longer, help him gain weight, etc.). Worked like a charm!

I'd say, if you don't already have one, to get an inexpensive breast pump and express a little milk before you nurse. Not too much, but just enough so that you're not so full! Then you can tuck the pumpings away in the freezer for some time when you're not with her. Just remember to use them up

Poor little kiddo! Hope that helps... I know what you're talking about - my mom, my sisters and I have all joked at one time or another about being dairy cows in a past life or something. Better than not having enough! I know you guys can work it out. Good luck!

M.,
Try a nipple shield--you can find them at Target I think--I'd recommend the one that has the opening for their nose so that they can still smell your skin. It'll make sense when you see it. There are however some things to know about nipple shields-- see this website http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t024500.asp.

M.,

sounds like you're doing a really great job at producing milk for your baby girl.

Just before she is due to feed, try expressing some of the milk so its not coming at her so fast when you put her to ther breast. The expressed milk can be stored [fridge or freezer] for use later, or you could simply discard it.

Keeping her upright to feed, until the volume of the flow reduces should help too.

I would pump and use a bottle.

I can understand you feeling so helpless when your little one is choking. That can be very frightening and uncomfortable for both of you.

I have heard some moms have tried pumping/hand expressing, etc. til they feel let down and then the milk slows. I have also heard of moms starting the feed and as soon as they feel the let down they take baby off breast til let down is complete and then place baby back on breast. Once the forceful let down is over the milk does tend to slow it's speed on ejection.

Happy Breastfeeding!
V.

I had the same problem with my son. (I could have nusred 3 babies and still had milk left!!) I was told to express some of the milk first, and then feed. He would only nurse one side each feeding, so it made it very difficult. I used a pump for about 2 min. then nursed. After about 2-3 weeks, it equallized, and did not choke him. (I fed him and THEN pumped 16 ounces. I sometimes pumped 8 oz. then fed. then pumped 8 more.) I knew that I would eventually have to return to work, so I stored milk for My Mom and so Dad could feed too. He was our first, and when I had my daughter, this was not a problem for/with her. Good luck and DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!

I had the same problem. The advice about pulling back and letting the rush out on a towel works but it is messy. I also bought nipple shells (I think that is what they are called). I started using them because one of my nipples was severely sore and cracking. Then I noticed it prevented him from getting too much milk at once. The extra milk (that he doesn't suck out just collects in the silicone nipple. Eventually he catches up and gets all the milk. The shells are silicone (or similar material) that fits over your breast and has holes in the tip (just like a nipple). The baby sucks on this instead of directly on your breast. It also helped my son learn to latch on because it is a firmer nipple and can "force" itsself into his mouth better than your own nipple. For me it was a great all around tool. Good luck.

are your breasts pretty full? If so...try to pump a little to get the pressure down then feed her.

1 / 3