Milk Alternative That Isn't Soy...

a couple days ago i posted a question about my baby's eating habit/gas issues, and the most common response was to eliminate dairy... i drink a lot of milk, and i REALLY don't like soy (my grandmother used to force it on me when i was growing up and living with her...) i will drink it if i can't find anything else, but is there something else that works? mostly if i can eat it on cereal and it doesn't taste horrible it should be ok...

I LOVE almond milk. You can get it sweetened and unsweetened, flavored and unflavored varieties. It is so much healthier for you than dairy or even soy milk.Rice milk is also good, but I prefer the almond.

ALMOND MILK!! I think it is delicious, and it is soy and lactose free. I eliminated dairy for a little while when both my babies were young, and now I am hooked. I like the vanilla flavor, but they have a regular that is not quite as sweet. Good luck!

Have you tried Lactaid? It looks and tastes just like regular milk, only it is lactose free. It solved the stomach problems for my son.

Have you tried rice milk? You can buy boxes of it at most grocery markets.

I really liked Almond milk. Our grocery store carries it in cardboard cartons, right next to the soy. I found it to be surprisingly tasty.

BTW - I LOVE dairy also. I did the soy thing when my BFing infant was gassy and fussy too. I really think it helped.

I used rice milk for a while. I thought it was really good on cereal, and I also don't like soy milk. I wouldn't want to drink a straight glass of either one, but then again, I don't like to drink straight cow's milk either. I haven't tried almond milk before, but I've heard it is good.

cc

Have you tried Lactaid milk, Dairy Ease milk, almond milk, or rice milk?

they have much better soy milk than they did even 10 yrs ago! my hubby is lactose intolerant, he likes the vanilla or chocolate soy milk. rice milk or lactaid is also good. another alternative is goat's milk

Goat's milk is most like human breast milk. The same type proteins are in it. Almond milk is a staple in homes all over the globe except for the US...don't understand that. It is an almost perfect food. Neither should give your little one problems.

Rice milk is primarily sugar and doesn't have a lot of nutrition. My daughter was diagnosed as being lactose intolerant but we determined it wasn't the lactose in the cow's milk that bothered her but the chemical processing the cow's milk goes through and probably the chemicals that were in the cows....I don't recommend dairy but sometimes the problem with dairy is not really the dairy....

God bless,

www.squidoo.com/ifyourbabycouldtalk

I drink almond milk with a little cinnamon sprinkled in it. I also use it on cereal.

Almond milk is really good. It tastes good, I don't like soy either. The original has only 6 grams of sugar per serving. It comes cold in the half gallon size at Central Market, and I also saw it at Super Target the other day.

I much preferred the rice milk to the almond milk. I only used it in cereal, though...and I made sure to find a brand that didn't have any added sugars or flavorings to keep it a little healthier.

Christine, there is rice milk, and almond milk also. Both are good.

almond breeze and rice dream are the 2 i use.. i would get vanilla rice dream. it has a bit of a bitter aftertaste in the plain. i've heard of using coconut milk but never tried it.

We use rice milk for our cereal, like some of the other folks mentioned. Almond milk might be a problem if you have any concerns about food allergies. If you need some dairy free recipes, our blog has a bunch. Our website is www.welcomingkitchen.blogspot.com.

Try rice or almond milk.

try lactaid,
maybe lactose free will help!

I have seen almond milk but never tried it. Depending on your child's age, almonds may not be an alternative. We have a friend allergic to cow's milk so he drinks hemp milk. I really don't know much about it but ask your pedi.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/benefit...

My daughter drinks almond milk. She likes the chocolate. We used to always buy the Almond Breeze brand that was in the non-refrigerated section. Lately we have been buying Pure Almond Vanilla in the refrigerated section. It is cheaper and in my opinion tastier.

Rice or almond milk!!

I love Rice Dream rice milk.

No one has mentioned goat's milk. I don't know how that might do for you. And, personally, I like the rice or almond milk suggestions! :)

I really like coconut milk...not the kind that comes in a can :) but this kind:

So Deliceous Coconut Milk Beverage

http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/coconut_milk_bever...

I'm sorry, I didn't read your previous post so I don't know what your baby's symptoms are. Just wanted to let you know, if your child has a milk protein allergy, lactaid only helps with the enzyme lactase to break down the sugar, lactose. Lactose intolerance is usually more of an adult problem. milk protein intolerance is usually more of a childhood problem that children outgrow.

Try Almond Milk. It is supposed to be so much better for you than cow's milk. It is now found at regular grocery stores but is at room temp so make sure you refrigerate it before drinking it. I buy the Almond Milk for myself and it even comes in different flavors like Vanilla and Chocolate. It is a bit thinner than milk but I like it better.

Soy is awful for more reasons I can go into here. Almond milk and Hemp milk are the best alternatives nutritionally and goat milk is the closest in taste and texture to cow's milk. I had to take my 14 month old off cow's milk and put her on goat and she's doing great.