Milk Allergy, Acid Reflux or WHAT???

I daughter is 6 1/2 weeks old and is having issues with feeding.
Symptoms:
Spitting up - a lot now that on Nutramigen, before it was occasional.
Diarrhea - for a week, as of today (Was constipated until switching to Nutramigen)
Sounding congested - Dr. says it's not a cold (worse on milk-based formula, but doesn't clear up on Nutramigen)
Coughing/Gagging/Choking - Dr. says it's a milk allergy or acid reflux (prescribed Axid for acid reflux and on Nutramigen(hypoallerginic formula)
Stomach ache - Did not get better on Nutramigen.
Pumping legs to her chest - Did not get better on Nutramigen.
CRYING - the pain cry!!!
Summary:
I took her to the doctor a week ago because she had been congested for a couple of weeks, but had recently started coughing and gagging (choking). **She had been constipated for about a week (juice nor karo syrup was making her go), was told to give her a 1/4 teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia and it worked after a few hours.** The doctor said that she didn't have a cold and that she thought it was a milk allergy and put her on Nutramigen. Instantly gave her Diarrhea and she has had it for a week. Her spitting up has increased also. I was fed up with her being sick, so I tried her on her previous formula. She slept well, didn't spit up, no dirty diapers...BUT...she started to get more congested, coughing and choking! WHAT DO I DO NOW? PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVICE!!!

This is definately not over, but we are getting a few answers. Went to the pedi last night, they did a stool test and there was no blood in her stool, which I was told is a good sign it isn't a milk allergy that is causing her problems. And...Nutramigen is HYPOALLERGENIC so why would she be having adverse reactions to it, quote her pedi. Which makes since! She has two ear infections, the one in the left is worse and it wasn't infected last week...it only had a little fluid in it. She had to have a spinal tap done to check for meningitis (sp?), blood drawn to check for anything else abnormal and a shot of antibiotics. We have to go back in today for another shot and to check on her. RSV was - again, so that is good. I just want my baby to get better. Dr. said that if she threw up today she wants to send her for an upper GI (has to drink barium), to check for intestinal blockages that would be causing her food not to go down properly and to make her throw up at every feeding. I hope we don't have to go that route, because if there is a blockage...that means surgery...and I am scared to death to put my little girl through that. We are off of the Nutramigen and back on Similac Sensitive and she told me to put rice cereal in her bottle to help keep the formula down. I hope it works! O and they put her on Prevacid and took her off of the Axid. She also was giving Levsin drops for colic (it helps a little). Still don't know what is going on exactly with her belly...so we are still playing the waiting game.
Thank you all for your comments, they have all be SO helpful. This is a great site...Thank you Angela B! LOVE YOU GIRL!

UPDATE:
No meningitis, nothing wrong with her blood work. So we are just praying she keeps her feeds down so we don't have to do the upper GI. I hope this all works itself out...really soon! So MD is thinking it is Acid reflux, ear infections and congestion in her nose. Again thank you all for your comments and advice!

UPDATE 1-27-09
She is doing a lot better, every bottle with cereal is the trick for the momment. Back on the milk-based formula, on a nebulizer for the congestion, it is getting a little better...still hanging out though. She is still on all of her meds. We have to mix her zantac with a teaspoon of juice to get her to take it, but she gets it all down that way.
Definately see an improvement...can't wait till she is better. She is sleeping a little better at night. She goes down at 9pm - wakes up around 12 (eats, change diaper) and goes back down around 12:30 and gets up around 3:30-4 (eats and change diaper) and goes back down until around 6 - 6:30. So I guess that's not too bad.

Thank you all for your input...everything has been so helpful!

Good luck with all the testing! I hope she feels better soon. I have a son who has horrible acid reflux. He is 7 months and things aren't getting much better with solids and he is on medicine! I know it can be frusterating! Good luck!

Hi J.... My baby did all this same stuff and the dr changed his formula to goodstart soy and he done wonderful. Other than he had colic really bad. I hope they can get it fugred out soon. There is nothing worse than having a crying baby and not know what to do to help. You might want to try gripw water. I bought mine at Walgreens and it helps with tummy ache, gas, even settling the tummy so they don't spit up as much.

My 15 year old son was lactose-intolerant until he was 13 months old and is 6 ft tall, 170 pounds, but when he was a newborn, every evening he would cry and I would cry. Doc never would say for certain that he was lactose intolerant, but a dear co-worker of my husband had a baby one month older than ours and she advised us to try LactoFree, same company that makes Nutramigen. 24 hours later we had a new baby. We didn't like using the soys because they gave him gas and much more spitting up(and the soy spitup smelled MUCH worse than LactoFree) I was nursing at the time too, and if I consumed ANY dairy, we were back to him screaming all evening, so if you are nursing too, cut out all dairy, even ice cream, unless it is the lactose free milk that you can buy.

Hi J.
I am happy to see that you have recieved alot of wonderful advice from the group. My 8 month old son has bad allergies as well and we went through a tough time getting it all figured out. The women from this group were also very supportive to me and I found the advice to be extremely helpful.

The names of your babies are absolutly beautiful.

Your situation sounds similar to my expereince however each baby is different and you will know how to forge forward at each step. It sounds like allergies & acid reflux. The formulas will be tricky dependng on the specific allergy. My son is allergic to dairy, soy & eggs. He did not do well with the Nutrimegen formula but did very well on the Similac Alimentum. There are also 2 other formulas that are for more extreme allergies called Neocate & Elecare. Both of these need to be ordered through a pharmacy.

My little one did better on the Alimentum but did not sleep until we started the Prevacid for the reflux so it was a 2 part issue. Also when he gets constipated I mix his formula with Pediasure instead of water and it clears the constipation up immediately. Although if a specific formula is causing constipation it is probably not the best formula for your baby.

I have also continued to breastfeed but had to use formula until I figured out the specific things that were making my baby sick. now that I have, I mainly breastfeed but supplement with formula if he shows any symptoms, if I get a cold or if I need to give him pediasure for constipation (from the bananas).

Hang in there, it gets easier. feel free to contact me if you need someone to talk you through this. I have spent many sleepless nights figuring this out so if I can help in any way please feel free to contact me.

There are also these neat tummy heating pads for colic that might help. I tried hot water bottle and warm wash cloths that were helpful.

Once she starts solid foods the refulx calms right down. This doesnt go on forever, things will get better soon.
I dont know where you are located but if you are in the Williamson county, TN area I have a wonderful pediatrician that has been a wonderful help to me.

kind regards

My son is 17 months old and I have breastfed him since birth and going until he is 2 years old. Anyway, breastfed babies receive something called bifidus bacteria that coats their stomachs. This has many benefits that remove the things you mentioned such as diarrhea and all the symptoms of GERD.

It took me a minute to locate, but I think this might help your little one. There is a new formula created by Nestle with bifidus added to the formula. It is the first of its kind. Let your doctor know you would like to try this out on your baby. See below for the link.

http://www.gerber.com/Products/Good_Start_Natural_Culture...

Also, here is a website talking about it....scroll down once the page pulls up.

http://www.nestle.co.nz/Nutrition/Toddlers/NeedsOfToddler...

Hope this helps....

If she's not spitting up from the old formula and it's milk based, she doesn't have a milk allergy. However, milk does cause mucous if there is not a proper balance of enzymes in the stomach to digest it. That's common at this age that's why it is best to breast feed when they are so young. The breast milk is basically already broken down to be digested. (I'm not scolding you by any means, I myself HAD to suppliment because I didn't have enough milk. I'm just giving you information that a lot of doctors don't take the time to explain to young moms.)

You could try goat milk as that usually doesn't give babies any problems or put her on a digestive aid that should help her digest the milk. I can recommend one if you're interested.

God bless and sleep well!

P.S. Karo syrup has been known to be fatal in infants that can't digest the botulism spores that it might possible contain. Prune juice is the safest for little ones :)

They make a baby probiotic and sell it at Whole Foods. My friend gives it to her 4 month old colicky baby pretty much since birth.And that was colic on breast milk. The GMO corn syrup is worse than you know for your baby.It is a synthetic, not natural. Corn syrup does not occur in nature. Your baby isn't too young to take it in some sweet non- fluorinated water. Also, my friend used goat based formula or maybe even goat milk for her highly allergic miserable child. A doctor might want to try soy, but I wouldn't.. All soy formula is genetically modified. Here is some info below.
"Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) are the result of laboratory processes which artificially insert foreign genes into the DNA of food crops or animals. Those genes may come from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals or even humans. GMOs are not safe, but have been in the food supply since 1996. Most Americans say they would not eat GMOs if labeled, but the U.S. does not requirelabeling.."

http://www.responsibletechnology.org/GMFree/Home/index.cfm

2 of my kids had milk allergies (one outgrew it, one didn't) as infants, and we had the WORST time finding a formula. They were sensitive to soy as well. I used Alimentum. I guess if I were you, I'd try a bunch of different ones until you find one that doesn't constipate the poor thing! I'd give each a week or two to see how she handles them. Some spitting up is totally normal, but if she's spitting up everything, that's bad. Milk allergy definitely causes congestion, but is she getting some eczema or flushed cheeks or anything?

My daughter without milk allergy got horribly constipated, too, but not until I started her on veggies.

Good luck! I know how frustrating that is. My first one with milk allergy wasn't diagnosed until he was 14 months old! Btw, your kids have BEAUTIFUL names!

1 / 3