Milk - Mesa, AZ

How do you know if you can breast feed. My friend wasn't producing enough milk so she couldn't. I have rather small breast and I am worried that I won't be able to. I am 35 weeks and they don't look like they are big enough.

Size really doesn't matter. My friend is almost flat chested till her children were born and she has milk to spare. I on the other hand am fairly large chested and have not been successful at breastfeeding my children.

A.

Trust me, they will grow! Just wait a few days after the baby is born. I am also small brested and produced enough milk to breastfeed my child for 11 months. Just give it a try!

Almost ALL women can breastfeed. Your breast size has abosolutely nothing to do with it. Many women I know have extrememly small breasts and have been breastfeeding their babies successfully for several months. Some of my friends with small breasts have said they think it's easier to breastfeed because of it- the baby has latched on very easily.

To be a successful breastfeeder, I would suggest doing some research on it. Contact your local La Leche League, and I recommend reading the book "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding". If you have any questions about breastfeeding, feel free to contact me. I have successfully breastfed my first baby for 8 months now, and we're still going strong.

Breast size doesn't matter. I have samall breasts and I was able to breastfeed my son for the first year of his life. Milk production is supply and demand the more your child nurses the more milk you will produce. My son was jaundice when he was born so he wasn't very enthusiastic about eating so I used an electric breastpump to stimulate my milk ducts and just saved the milk for when he was hungry.

Hello!
In case this has not been suggested yet, check in with your hospital if they have lacation consultants so you can get a good start right from the beginning. They should be able to come to your room after the birth and help you with positioning of the baby, care etc and also with the hospital pump to get things going.

Breast size doesn't have anything to do with breastfeeding. I wasn't producing anything for about a week after, but I was committed and determined to breastfeed. Although my son came home on formula, everytime he ate, I pumped and withing a week, I had more milk than I knew what to do with! Stick with it and there are lots of resources out there to help you through it. Hospital Lactation consultants, breastfeeding stores, le Lecha leagues... good luck-you can do it!

Every woman is able to breastfeed if they don't have medical conditions that would permit it. When you are breastfeeding it can take 4 days before your milk really starts to get it's demand down. Keep with it, it will be painful at first so use LOTS of Lanolin, Lansinoh makes a GREAT Lanolin (it comes in a purple box). Apply it generously and as often as you want. The baby can also consume it if there is some left on your nipples (which I'm sure if you use it in the beginning there will be) when the baby nurses. As you continue to breastfeed you'll notice that you don't wake up engorged as often or that your breasts won't feel as full. This is just because your body is accustoming itself to you breastfeeding, and also your milk changes so your baby won't need to eat as much because your milk can become fattier so less milk fills the baby faster. As long as your baby has pleanty of wet diapers (around 6 or more) then your baby is getting enough. As for your breasts being small this does not matter. Smaller breasts will hold less but because of this they'll produce milk much faster than someone with bigger breasts. I myself started out at a 32AA before I was pregnant and now when I am full I am a 34B. My breasts didn't get much bigger when I was pregnant. In fact my breasts didn't get to the size they are now until I started breastfeeding and my milk came in about 4 days after I started. My daughter is now 4 months old tomorrow and gets more than enough milk. Just a heads up their will be times when your baby will seem to not want to stop feeding and you'll think that he/she isn't getting enough, but your baby is just having a growth spurt and it won't last long, a few days at the most. You'll notice that you'll have more milk and your baby will be satisfied again, and back on a more normal feeding schedule. I hope this answers your questions.
KC Ruey

Hi H.,
Breast size is not a factor in breastfeeding. It makes no difference. Breastfeeding is suppy and demand. The more you allow your child to nurse the more milk you will have to offer. So many women think they don't provide enough milk because they cannot see the milk or if they pump they cannot get very much. The fact is that there are very few (extremely few) women who cannot breastfeed. It is human nature! Think about it, how did moms feed their kids before formula was created in the early 20th century?? Excluding of course the very wealthy women who hired wet nurses to feed their kids, all women nursed their babies. I think often times women have a hard time because they don't nurse fulltime, which in turn reduces their supply. However, tons of women nurse part-time and feed formula in addition and they are extremely successful! Maybe some women don't fully comprehend the commitment it takes to nurse exclusively. It requires letting your baby dictate their feeding schedule. Once again...the supply and demand factor. You have to trust your baby and feed him/her when they say their hungry. Sometimes this can be overwhelming because when they hit a growth spurt, they sometimes want to nurse every hour or two even when they're older and it seems like they shouldn't need to eat--they do!
Anyway, sorry to have gone on, but I don't understand why so many women have been mislead as to, what I refer to as the "Art of Breastfeeding." Best wishes!

Just a note, I've exclusively nursed all three of my children.
Please contact me if I can help!

L. :-)

Mine were rather tiny when I was pregnant (I was worried about that) but as soon as I gave birth within 48 hours they were HUGE! I had so much milk I didn't know what to do with it. My baby was drinking all of it. According to nurses I could have fed a whole other child. I actually nursed my daughter till 2 1/2 so I did well with the milk!

1 / 3