C.M. asks from Woodland, WA on June 16, 2008
Mildew on Bath Toys
My daughter has a bunch of bath toys, including a couple of bath babies that she will just not part with. I have tried drying everything after her bath and her toys still get mildew on them. Is there something that takes mildew off? Should I put them through the dishwasher or washing machine? I am afraid to melt the plastic parts of the babies. Any suggestions would be great.
So What Happened?™
I used bleach on all the bath toys yesterday, soaked them for about 2 hours. Tonight I am going to run them through the dishwasher to get the bleach off, but the mildew came off!! My daughter was very happy, even her very favorite bath baby that we thought we were going to have to throw away came clean. Thanks!
D.R. answers from Portland on June 18, 2008
I washed my kids bath toys in bleach and then ran them through the dish washer. You can also try Tile X mold and mildew cleaner and then run through the dishwasher
R.G. answers from Portland on June 17, 2008
Have you tried soaking them in bleach water over night to rid the mildew then after the bath a good bleach rinse should keep them clear.
B.M. answers from Portland on June 17, 2008
I throw all of my kids bath toys in some bleach water and let them soak then scrub them. Hope that helps
D.H. answers from Portland on June 16, 2008
I just fill the tub with a shallow amount of water (enough to submerge toys) and then about 1/2 C of bleach. Put a white towel flat on top of the toys. It will soak up the bleach water so the toys have bleach water on most surfaces. Leave them for about an hour, swishing it around a couple of times. Then drain and lightly rinse the toys under running water.
Also, when the bath toys aren't in use, we keep them in a large colander so they drain well and get good air circulation.
1 mom found this helpful
K.R. answers from Seattle on June 17, 2008
Recommend to use the bleach in the water bowl or bucket. All toys put in the water to leave for a few minutes then use toothbrush or brush where is the mildew to remove. Then toys rinse the water to clean. If the mildew wont remove on the toys and have to throw for safety. Dont want toddler to develop allergy/asthma from mildew.
A.W. answers from Seattle on June 16, 2008
try washing them in the washing machine with bleach. It might lighten the colors but the mildew should be gone. You can also put them on low heat in dryer.
J.H. answers from Spokane on June 17, 2008
Hi~! Have you ever heard of "SOLUMEL"? It's all natural and safe around kids, yet it removes mold and inhibits it's return. You can also put the SOLUMEL into your dishwasher (use
COOL setting so you don't melt the plastic parts!) if you decide to wash the toys that way...it will also clean your
dishwasher! If you'd like more information about SOLUMEL, give me a call at ###-###-####
K.S. answers from Seattle on June 17, 2008
You can definitely put them in the washing machine; just be sure to put a towel or two in with them. The towel kind of "scrubs" that weird slime they get on the outside off.
K.C. answers from Medford on June 17, 2008
FOr a non-toxic, inexpensive alternative to bleach, try straight white vinegar. (You can buy it in gallon jugs at Costco. Soak the toys in the sink or a plastic tub, then rinse well.
W.L. answers from Seattle on June 17, 2008
I too say use Bleach, it's the best at getting the mildew off of anything! Throw your shower curtain liner in with it too. Also you can fill your kitchen sink with the hotest water you have along with bleach and throw the toys in that way you get two things done at once, it will make your sink sparkle and the toys are clean!
S.C. answers from Seattle on June 17, 2008
try the clorox everywhere spray. I just spray that on my daughters bath toys after she is done bathing. It doesn't have to be washed off or anything. After 2 min it takes care of everything and I think it is because of that, that I haven't had any mildew problems with her stuff (before the spray we were having serious mildew issues in that bathroom). Hope it helps.