4 answers

"Mild' Milk Allergy in 2 Year Old

Hello Ladies! We just discovered that our almost 2 1/2 year old has a 'mild' milk allergy, according to her pediatrician. He also said her blood showed higher "ig" levels, whatever that means. So he set us up with an allergist, with whom I thought I could discuss our food limitations, etc. with. However, it turns out the allergist can't see us until DECEMBER! I am horrified! Her symptoms were chronic dry red cheeks, dark circles under her eyes, and constant diarrhea that is also in part due to extreme blockage/constipation in her colon. Anyway, how are we supposed to know what to feed her? Is a little bit of butter on her toast safe? Are things like that really bad/is it ok to keep exposing her to small amounts of milk? She LOVES yogurt and cheese, so now what? Anyone have any ideas for us? Any thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated! (we've already switched to soy, rice, and almond milk months ago)

What can I do next?

So What Happened?™

So it turns out, after seeing the allergist, my darling daughter does NOT have a milk allergy and that the pediatrcians' results of 'ig levels' being up is simply bunk. I guess a milk milk allergy commonly shows up in blood tests when it's not an actual allergy. Thanks for the help, Ladies!

More Answers

Hi R.,

I do know that her chances of outgrowing the allergy are a lot better if you don't feed her anything she is allergic to. Have you tested your other daughter? She may be allergic, also, and it would be better to start her on the same diet now. If you do she may outgrow it by the time she is your older daughter's age.

I am taking care of a 22 month old that was allergic to soy and milk, but after sustaining use she is only slightly allergic to milk. She was still showing signs of allergies, so they tested her for a few other foods and found she was highly contagious to corn. We were so happy about the milk and soy that we didn't even realize for awhile how many things corn was in....it is worse than milk, but we are working through it and hopefully she will outgrow this allergy soon.

We looked up information on the internet and printed off a list of items she couldn't have...this helped us a lot.

Good Luck!

C.

If she's only slightly allergic I would think small amounts of butter, yogurt and cheese would be safe. Look for the symstems when you give him these things. Often kids alergic to cow's milk aren't allergic to other animal's such as goat. Try goats milk, cheese, and yogurt.

This doesn't sound like a mild mild allergy to me.... However, if you don't feed her anything with any milk products in it ( this may include whey) and she gets better, than you know. What you will find out is that there is a lot of trial and error in this. I have always been allergic to milk - and ALL milk products or anything with whey in it. It really isn't too bad, once you get used to it. Sometimes - like when I'm pregnant or nursing (depending on the baby and it's allergies) - I'm highly allergic, other times, I can have SMALL amounts of ice cream or cooked cheese without a reaction. I cook with regular soy milk for my whole family and no one notices. I eat soy everything. But, I've found, I have to be careful with boxed mixes or some cereals and have to read the ingredients carefully. Much of the time, I cannot eat whey products - which is in a lot of prepared stuff. So, I eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and have learned to cook using natural products and I frequent the health section of the grocery store. It is a different way of thinking, planning and eating, but is much better than dealing with the reaction. My husband does not have these allergies, but some of my children and grandchildren do. There are lots of products out there for people with allergies these days so it isn't that hard to find solutions. Unfortunately, you are going to find that each body is a touch different and your job gets to be to teach your child how to work with hers so that it functions correctly. Good luck!

My son has a milk aversion he does not get hives but starts vomiting shortly after eating things with significant amount of milk in it. I spoke with my sons ped about it & she said that cheese & yougurt are much easier to digest than milk or liquids with milk. I feed my son toast with butter & he is ok. I think you may want to take all dairy out for a while & slowly reintroduce things as cheese & yogurt to see how she reacts.
Take care!

1 / 3
Required Fields

Our records show that we already have a Mamapedia or Mamasource account created for you under the email address you entered.

Please enter your Mamapedia or Mamasource password to continue signing in.

Required Fields

, you’re almost done...

Since this is the first time you are logging in to Mamapedia with Facebook Connect, please provide the following information so you can participate in the Mamapedia community.

As a member, you’ll receive optional email newsletters and community updates sent to you from Mamapedia, and your email address will never be shared with third parties.

By clicking "Continue to Mamapedia", I agree to the Mamapedia Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.