Midwife and Doula near Palatine, IL

I've always visited an Ob-Gyn and am not familiar with midwives or doulas. Now that I'm pregnant, I've heard a lot of good things about midwives/doulas. If you've had experiences before, can you share the pros/cons from your point of view?

Additionally, do you have a personal referral for a midwife and doula in the area that you can share? If you could also kindly describe reasons why you recommend them that would be very helpful as well. I live in Palatine but nearby suburb areas may work too. Thanks!!

Yes her name is Sasha Farnsworth she is a Doula. Her phone number is ###-###-####. Let her know J. referred you.. And good luck to you!! :)

SY:

two places to look....

www.birthlink.com

www.birthwaysinc.com

warmly,

P., RLC, IBCLC
Breastfeeding and Parenting Solutions

Call Dr. Tara at Hands On Family Health. ###-###-####. Her hubby is my chiro and she is a chiro that works with moms, children, infants, etc. She knows of good referrals for our area.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I respect your effort to research and find the best option for you and your baby. I hope you find what works for you!

I delivered (about 9 months ago) at Rush-Copley in Aurora. Karen Barr was the midwife on call when I delivered but I saw Noreen Prokuski for the duration of the pregnancy.

I had a WONDERFUL experience and birth with Karen. I was induced, because of threatened pre-eclampsia, and was nervous that the delivery wouldn't go as planned. Karen was patient, supportive and extremely calm and professional. Outstanding bedside manner! I was able to labor and did a partial delivery in the water, if that is something you are looking for. Both Karen and Noreen were very supportive of our decisions to deliver naturally. They were very invested in the birth going as close to my birth plan as possible, without jeopardizing the safety of myself or my son. I can't say enough good things about them--I recommend the use of a midwife to everyone!

As far as using a doula, since I had a midwife, I decided it was not necessary to spend the extra money. I did consider my Bradley class instructor and would have gone with her, had I delivered with an OB/Gyn. If you go with a midwife, and have a supportive/involved support person, the role of the midwife and doula may overlap a bit.

Good Luck--hope all goes well!

Hello, I have two kids both were natural -underwater -at home births- with midwives.

I was 19 years old when I had my first, I had made a birth plan and decided on a water birth. My mother has been a midwife in Miami, Florida for years.

Since I was 10 yrs old I've seen women of all kinds give natural birth at birth centers or at home. I was very confident. The experience was great. I believe that a midwife is the better choice do to the fact that Midwives are dedicated to mommy and baby only. Doctors are what I like to call universal Doctors, because they take care of so much and have a lot on there plates. A midwife is on call for you 24-7, she will be at your birth when it's time, unlike doctors midwives don't rotate.

You are in charge, you choose who you want at your birth, and what you need & want. If you decide on a at home birth you have the freedom to eat, to move around, to personalize your birth. I was able to personalize my birth with my significant other, we had a quite room picked out in the house with the AQUA DOULA, the aroma of lavender scented candles lit and personalized music, I had a hand full of people who brought over fresh fruits for me and one person recording. When my water broke I basically began nesting, never having to leave my house I preped my self- walked the dog- did the dishes- took a shower- laid down in my rob- passed out. Walk up to the midwife. She checked me and told me I was ready. Every one had a job to do, Aqua dula was ready and filled with warm water. I got in and did my thing for 7 hrs, the father was able to get in with me and aid in the birthing process, was able to cut the cord. I had a great birth. If you want to know more about my personal experience having a home birth or water birth email me and I'll give you all the cool details. I just wanted you to get a glimpse of how mines went more or less. email: ____@____.com

Midwives carry oxygen tanks and the proper tools in case of emergency, and know about the hospitals in the area in case they need to send you to one. They also have connections to doulas which aid in the process, they serve you, they are known to give massages during birth if you wanted them , but mainly are there for supporting you emotionally and spiritually.
The birth is very important for mommy and baby its important for it to go as smooth as possible for it will give you and your baby a good head start. Lots of luck hope to hear from you. peace.

I feel Midwives are a lot more involved and if you are wanting a natural birth they are really more supportive. Doulas are great as they provide that support and voice to help you achieve the birth you want. I am actually a certified HypnoBirthing practitioner and also offer doula services in the west/southwest suburbs.

Best of luck!!!!

-Robin

We have a doula at our home school workshop. If you send me your e-mail or phone number I can pass it on to her when I see her Friday and she can e-mail or call you. She lives in Cary but I am sure she has contacts.

Well I had a midwife for my daughter and would never do anything different. Being my first baby I was thankful to know that she was going to be in the room with me the whole time if I wanted her to be. It wasn't going to be a nurse that I met that day and may or may not like. I knew that she would support my decision to be drug free and have the most natural birth possible...with the least chance of a c-section. I was able to have a number of friends and family in the room as well to support me, which wouldn't have been allowed had it been a doctor scenario. If you have a doctor, they stop in for a minute and try to make it back before you deliver. My friend's doctor came by and then left to go play golf. I just didn't want that. I absolutely love the practice that I went through. There is also one of the doctors in the hospital at all times if an issue arises that the midwife can't do (c-section, vacuum, foresepts). Otherwise they are great.

We used West Suburban Women's Health. They are in Willowbrook at the corner of Madision and Plainfield Rd just east of Rt 83. It's an all female practice. They have 3 midwives now. There were two previously. I had Patty for my delivery and my family loves her. They deliver out of Hinsdale Hospital, so that shouldn't be too far for you. You have some time after labor starts generally. Their number is: 630-654-baby.

Oh, btw, I have another friend that is now going to WSWH now that she's pregnant and she likes them. I also have a number of friends now going there for gyn, and really like them. It's a fantastic practice.

As for a doula, I didn't have one that I paid for, but the friends that were with me worked like a doula. It is a REALLY big help if you are trying to have a completely natural birth. I have a neighbor though that is a doula and she is incredibly nice and has had 4 children herself. She is well experienced. Her name is Carrie and her number is: ###-###-####. She's located on the east side of Bolingbrook.

Take care and congrats!

1 / 3