Midol Every Day for Tween?

I remember reading on here a few years ago that a mama on here was a nanny for several kids and the mom gave the kids a (or a half) of a midol every day to help with their "attitude". I want to say it was even the boys but not sure.

Anyway, my 12 yo daughter (ADD and slight Asperger's) has kicked into "TEEN" mode and someone said I should give her a Midol every day to help with the hormones and attitude.

Has anyone heard of this or done this themselves?

I thought it was kind of weird but thought I would ask since I saw it on here orginally. My daughter doesn't take anything but vitamins. I have stated on here several times that I'm blessed with kids who are rarely sick and when they are, its a head cold. I'm not one of those moms that has tons of meds in the cubbard and hand them out for every little issue. I appreciate the info. I have a psych appt for her in mid-may to have her re-evaluated for her ADD and confirm the Aspergers so I willl remember to ask then. Thanks mamas!

Midol contains acetaminophen, caffeine and pyrilamine maleate (an antihistimine). None of those should have any affect on hormones or attitude... except that acetaminophen will decrease pain, so that might make someone a bit happier, and caffeine is a stimulant, so you might get some hyper behavior.

The biggest reason not to do this is that daily use of acetaminophen can damage the stomach, kidneys and liver. Here's a quote from a medical site about side effects: " Prolonged daily use increases the risk of upper gastrointestinal complications such as stomach bleeding and may cause kidney or liver damage."

Midol? Why? Depending on the pill, it's just something for headaches and bloating. It might work as a placebo (or because if you don't feel achy, you feel better) but I wouldn't give any child a medication they don't need and it shouldn't have any effect on teen attitude. Hormones are hormones.

Wow, there are a lot more versions than I remembered - a nighttime one and one with a "stimulant" (probably caffeine)....I'm not the type to give Benadryl to make my child sleepy, either. I wouldn't do it, personally. Find out the root cause if there's a medical issue, but there's not magic pill to cure a teen and unnecessary medicine can be harmful.

http://www.midol.com/

Which Midol????

Midol Extended Relief contains naproxen sodium

Midol Teen formula contains acetaminophen and pamabrom

Midol Cramps and Body Aches contains ibuprofen

Midol Menstrual Complete contains acetaminophen, caffeine, and pyrilamine

For reference:

acetaminophen is a mild pain reliever
ibuprofen and naproxen are pain relievers and anti-inflammatory medications
pamabrom is a mild diuretic used to treat bloating
pyrilamine is an antihistamine used to treat irritability (may cause sedation)
caffeine is a stimulant and diuretic and helps acetaminophen work more effectively

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_active_ingredient_i...

To answer your question....sounds like better living through pharmaceuticals....you're just medicating to be medicating.

I have often heard from mom's in ADD support groups that if you don't medicate the child in the early years, as an adult they will learn to self-medicate, usually with drugs and alcohol.

As the parent you can always do a trial run, no more than 3x week for 2 weeks running with the drugs listed above. If it takes the edge off, then you'll have your own data to work with.

That makes no sense.

The b vitamins are mood stablizers and have benefits for sleeping. there are also some that increase energy levels. I can't remember which b vitamin is good for what...but my sister and I both take b complex rather than medications for post partem depression and monthly pms troubles. I take it daily all month. best wishes.

There's nothing in Midol to take away the "bitchy." Ray from "Everybody Loves Raymond" learned that when he tried to buy his wife, Debra, every period medication available at the drug store, but none of them relieved "the bitchy." :)

The only thing in it that could help with the ADD is the caffine. Since it is a stimulant and most of what is in ADD meds are stimulant it would have the same general effect. We are pretty sure my youngest is ADHD and if he get's too hyper on weekends when he's home we will give him a Mt. Dew or Dr. Pepper. Something with hi caffine content. I have been told to I can give him coffee but he does not like the taist of it. It's amazing what a difference it can make.

Makes sense that it would work for migraines, but not for moody kids. Unless she's in pain, the only thing that might help is the varriety that has caffine.

Actually, the different formulas each have different active ingredients, but they're all pain killers... acetaminophen (tylenol) in one, ibuprofen in another, naproxen (aleeve) in another. None of them include anything to help with mood.

1 / 3