Middle of the Night Hungry Toddler!

Ok Ladies Help!! My 20 month old is an unusual toddler--he eats! He eats all the good stuff--very balanced meals/snacks. He eats so well my friends with toddlers are jealous! So the last few nights around 5am he is awake and hungry! This also happened 2 nights in a row, 2 weeks ago. He normally wakes around 7-730am. I go in and try to rock him back to sleep--He's saying "momma mulk(milk), momma cheese, nana(banana), bapple(apple). It's like he is going down the list of things he wants. Only a full cup of milk makes things better. Some mornings he will go back to sleep with me, in the daybed, in his room. Sometimes we are up for the day.

We have tried: extra milk, Pediasure-he doesn't like, Instant Breakfast-he doesn't like. He normally eats dinner around 6pm and goes to bed 745 or 8pm. He is a big boy 95% hgt and wt. People think he is 2 1/2!! I have seen lately he is starting to stretch out taller and thinner--I have had to tighten down his adjustable waist jeans!! Is this just a major growth spurt or what???

Oh yeah--he is VERY active during the day!!

Any suggestions are appreciated!! We need our rest back and so does he!

My 19 month old girl did this a couple of weeks ago. I couldnt believe it. I gave her bread and water as she requested and it hasnt happened again.She went back to sleep. I dont have any advice, I just wanted to let you know that you arent alone.

I have a very large & active 19 month old boy. He has gone through stages where for a week or so, I assume at a growth time. He wakes up early and signs & crys for juice & a bannana. It is usually at like 5:30 or 6Am. You can see his belly is empty by how loose his diaper will be on his belly from when he went to sleep. My husband & I have not seen it as a problem to give him an early morning snack. He will usually either go right back to sleep or play for about 30 minutes and then go back to sleep. I can't see starving him if he is hungry.

adding some healthy fats and proteins throughout the day will help him keep up with his appetite. we love a smoothie for a filling snack, maybe the bedtime one. full-fat plain yogurt (we use goat), frozen peaches or berries, a little honey, some flaxseed oil, and vanilla. dump in the blender and enjoy.

try adding in guacamole on his morning eggs or sliced on a sandwich. add nut butters on any baked goods or granola. hummus is high-calorie and very nutritious, my son LOVES it. it has that wonderful sesame-seed paste--tahini--with the seed oils.

hope you can sleep in again soon!

I must first say, that I would not start a bad habit of putting a cup in his crib....that is a bad habit to break. My son is 18 months and we eat around 6 and by 7 or a little after he is wanting a snack as he is hungry which he eats well for the most part at dinner. If you give him a snack around 7:30 I think you will notice a big change. perhaps a banana would be good before bed because of the potassium or a nutrigrain bar. My son makes it throught the night and is very hungry in the morning. He eats a banana or nutrigrain bar on the way to daycare and then eats breakfast there about an hour or so later. Good luck!

I'm not a nutritionist, but I think if you add a bedtime snack, you might try making it high in protein - cheese, milk, peanut butter, maybe even a hard-boiled egg. In my experience, protein (and fat) keeps you satisfied longer than carbs. When kids are growing, sometimes it's hard to keep up with them - count your blessings that he's a good eater and he's healthy! Good luck!

My girls are now almost 7 and 4. For many years, they have both eaten huge snacks right before going to bed -- often a sandwich or a bowl of oatmeal plus fruit, apple slices with all natural crunchy peanut butter, etc. They are big (but not overweight), active kids who eat huge snacks between meals. They are starving if they don't. I don't give them any junk food at all.

Just give your son a big, healthy snack before brushing his teeth and he should be fine.

Sounds like maybe a growth spurt. That should pass soon. IF not, you might want to try to give him a snack before bedtime. Yogurt, popcorn puffs (cheetos makes them), etc. And see if that will keep his belly content till morning!!

J.--I have got three boys, one just a month younger than yours--the other two are 13 and 7--and a ten year old girl....but I find that kids are WAY better than adults about regulating their eating and if we would just let them handle it--they well. as a rule a child that young does not eat for anything other than hunger.---he is not mindlessly eating, or eating for comfort....like say, I would)

I think that kids handle "bad' foods better. My thirteen year old will still only eat a half bag of peanut m & m's and toss the rest. The same with all candy and junk.) So I let them have it if they want it, because I think that forbidden food is a bad thing.

Your little angel is eating early and going to bed; it is a long time for little people--with FAST metabolisms--to go without food.

It sounds like a growth spurt to me. So feed him. It will pass. Especially if he is eating good foods for that early meal. Make sure he has some extra protein and whole grain with that last meal of the day.

My Michael is also HUGE...16 months and 30 pounds, he also looks like he is 2 1/2...and outweighs several three year olds that we know!

1 / 3