Mid-30s Moms: Where Do You Shop for Clothes?

I need help getting my wardrobe updated, and I'm at a total loss. For the last 10+ years I've either worked in an office that required a business suit or in a job that required a uniform. My non-work clothes for the last 3 years have been maternity clothes. I recently left my job and now only work 10 hours a week. My wardrobe is totally lacking, now that I have time to spend outside of work. Prior to having my girls, my non-work clothes were nothing to brag about. Now that I'm done having kids and within 10 pounds of my pre-baby weight, I am starting to think about shopping! Yea! Unfortunately, I've always struggled to find a "style" that I feel fits me, personality-wise. So, where do you shop?
Here are a few details about me: 35 years old, size 6, 5 ft 9 in. I would like to be Carrie from Sex in the City, but I'm really probably more Miranda or Charlotte. I'm fairly reserved, but I have two girls who I can be goofy with. Grace, from Will and Grace, is about the only TV character I can think of right now whose style I like. J Crew, and Banana Republic are styles that I used to like, but I feel a bit old for them now. I also wouldn't mind something a bit more interesting, style-wise.
This group is always full of helpful info, so I can't wait to hear people's suggestions. I'm in the Portland, Oregon area, in case someone has a specific store to recommend.
Thanks in advance.

Ann Taylor Loft, White House Black Market, and Banana Republic. I can't find anything at J. Crew that fits well. I am 34 and think they are perfectly appropriate for the 25-45 age group.

Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft, and White House Black Market are my go-to places. And, since you're tall, they all have tall sizes online (WHBM less so than the other two, but their stuff tends to be sized a little longer anyhow). We are not too old for Banana Republic! :)

Nordstrom - you can find anything there, cute summer dresses, a pair of great jeans, some tops and a blazer you can dress up a simple tank top with. Also check out H&M so what if you're in mid 30s you can find great stuff there and it's not expensive! Happy shopping!

What about Anthropologie? That's a great store and totally fits the style of Portland, Oregon! You can mix and match some pieces from there; maybe get help from someone who works at the store?

I also like Ann Taylor Loft as well!

Just get, whatever your style is or what floats your boat.
That is what I do.
And add creative touches/accessories to it.

Some people dress very 'plain'/monochromatic... but by adding personal touches/accessories that reflect THEIR style/personality... they are very interesting and becomingly dressed.

And let me tell you... you are NOT too 'old' for J Crew or Banana Republic. C'mon. You are Young!
Think young, you are young, be young, it is not a numeric age.
Dress as you wish.
Of course not like a skank. But I know you won't.
:)
LOL

First of all, you are NOT too old for J Crew and Banana Republic!!!

You are as young as you feel... depends on the attitude and how you rock it!!

I like Nordstrom's, Anthropologie, some Ann Taylor. I like fitted things that show my tiny waist and nice figure without being too dramatic. We have a few small boutiques in the Dallas area where i like to shop as well. I like unique classy things that you don't see on everyone.

Have fun!

Anthroplogie has cute trendy but also age appropriate clothes. I shop there, Gap, Banana Republic and J Crew. Oh and of course target.

I get a ton of my weekend clothes at Ann Taylor LOFT. They have some really cute accessories that can make clothes 'fun' but not juvenile.

Have fun shopping!!

1 / 3