Metallic Taste in Mouth During Pregnancy

Has anyone experienced a strong metallic taste in their mouth during pregnancy? I am 3 1/2 months pregnant and for the past week I have a metallic taste in my mouth that will not go away despite using mints or gum. Is this normal, I did not experience this with my previous pregnancy. My doctor's appointment is not for another two weeks so I was just wondering if any of you mom's have experienced this and what can I do to get rid of it?

You might want to try eating with plasic utensils until it goes away. I've had no experience with this symptom but eating with plasic may help reduce the taste.

I don't want to scare you at all, but to ease your mind get your blood tested for metals, especially lead. If you've ever been exposed to lead paint or dust, it may have settled in your bones. Sometimes the body mistakes lead for calcuim and it comes out during pregnancy because the body uses the calcuim to nourish your baby. I hope this helps. If you do have metals in your system, the doctors will know what to do.

This does happen on occasion in pregnancy. Your Dr. might have a different take on it than I do. I, along with other holistic practiioners see it as an imbalance in your system. My first guess would be either you are not absorbing nutrients and or your mineral balance is a bit off. The best care providers that I refer my clients to are acupuncturists and chiropractors. They both have very good knowlege in this area. Please feel free to contact me if you have more quesitons and or would like a referral to someone in your area.
Birthbliss
HypnoBirthing childbirth education and doula sevices

I had that with both of my pregnancy, my daughter is now 3 and my son now 5 months. I think it went aways some time in the 2nd trimester? But in some books they say it happens and my doctor said, as always your body does strange things, I never heard of it being the vitamins, I had the taste both times before being on prenatal vitamins?? anyways, your not alone :)

Yes, and I checked with a friend at the time who had the same taste with her kids. I could no longer STAND diet soda, and at the time I was addicted to the stuff. Everything tasted weird with that taste in my mouth.

It could be that you're a bit anemic - low red blood cells. Try eatting some red meat or veggies that are higher in iron. I became anemic when pregnent with my daughter. The dr. had me take an otc iron suppliment.

Hello Julia,

My name is Iris from Stafford Virginia. I am a mother of two, a sweet boy and girl. During my first pregnancy with my daughter, I experienced many changes in my mouth. I learned that the metallic taste in my mouth was due to the higher levels of iron in my blood due to the increased vitamins (pregnancy specific vitamins and minerals). I also learned that you have a greater chance of getting "Gingivitis" on your Gums (Which caused bleeding of my gums everytime I brushed). I was told by my doctor that the pregnancy increases our blood flow much more than we are used to. The taste of metal in your mouth may not seem to go away because it may be produced by iron. Call your doctor or dentist or a FREE 800-Nurse line for your area and ask them about iron levels. You may want to have your "Hemoglobin levels" checked. If your iron levels are too high, you may need to reduce the intake of iron fortified vitamins and replace them with non-iron (that is what my doctor told me to do).

Excessive iron in the blood could cause your baby to be intolerant to your breastmilk (causing excessive spit up) or intolerance to Formula with Iron.

Do not stress over it, you are doing great by asking and sharing your concerns. For now try eating citrus daily (oranges and if you can stand it, Limes) The limes worked best for me, it made the metal taste go away. My child stills loves limes! Best Wishes.

it's the iron in your pregnancy vitamins and minerals you take, don't worry.

Hi!
I had the same taste too... it was disgusting; it seemed as if I had pennies in my mouth all day long! I chalked it up to morning sickness, but have also heard pre-natal pills can cause that awful taste. I uses preggie pops or mints to combat the taste (to little avail!)
Concgrats on the pregnancy & best of luck ~ K. :)

1 / 3