Messy Diapers

I hate even asking this question but here it goes, sorry it's gross. My 4mo old breastfed baby has loose stools. Dr. has no concern about this. I have started him on cereal once a day and that has not changed them much at all. My problem is that 9 out of 10 times when he has a b.m. it goes right out the back top of his diapers, all over him, his clothes, and the sheet. I believe he is in the right size, size 2 pampers swaddlers. I don't really want to switch brands, he has sensitive skin, but am sick of doing so much laundry every other day. Any suggestions would be helpful. I probably will have to just wait for it to change but wish there was some other solution!

Ok, so I got way more responses than I thought I would! Thanks everyone, glad to know I'm not the only one giving my washer a workout! I will try to respond to all of these at once. First, I guess I should have mentioned that I have another son that I breastfed for the first year so I'm not a total novice in the world of bf poo. My diet/vitamins have not changed since child was born or pregnancy, I just don't remember my first son's stool being this thin - but different baby, different tummy system, different stuff comes out of it! As I said, pedi is not concerned about his bm consistency, color, or how often he does it so that's wasn't my question but thanks for all the advice. More I was looking for suggestions about how to stop it from coming out the top, first child leaked out of the legs usually and sometimes the top, this one is always the top. I also mentioned we had started some rice cereal, thank you for the advice for and against this but we will keep at it for now, and the poo had not changed. I remember the change after the veggies/fruits/solids happen. Maybe that will help it stay contained in it's proper area later on.

I will try moving him up a size since this seems to be the most common advice and see if that helps. I wasn't going by the weight as much as the waist and legs. We'll see if it works. He usually makes his mess in his crib once a day as he does his business as soon when he wakes up so I can't catch him and prevent it. Thanks again!

mine did this too!! I used 2 diapers for awhile. id put on what I thought was his size, and then another one over that was one size up. once he started eating solids, his poops were less watery.

I know you said you didn't want to change diaper brands, but I had this same problem with my first son, blowouts, that is. So with my second, I have been using Huggies Supreme. They've worked great for us. They have a small elastic band around the waist in the back which I have found more preventative of the famous infant blowouts. Pampers don't have the elastic.

My only thoughts are that you should try a size 3 and see if that will help, as it will go up higher on his back. They have very stretchy tabs, even if you have to over lap the tabs, the fact that they are bigger may help. Also, does he like to be on his tummy much?? Maybe a little more time on his belly will at least lessen the opportunity for such messes. I hope it gets better soon!! ~A.~

Sorry Angela, but this is what happens with breastfed babies, they have loose stools. My baby does the same, preferably on her bouncing chair that I have to clean as well, but she only has a bowel movement only once a week, which is really lucky for me. The only thing you can do is change diapers' brand. Huggies work better for my baby most of the time (although accidents happen), and they have some special ones for young babies that are very soft.

I had to go up a size for a little while and then once the problem resolved you can go back down to the size 2.

Huggies Supreme. They are very absorbent and almost as soft as Swaddlers. My son had sensitive skin too and the Huggies did not irritate him. They are better for boys when they get older too because they are more absorbent in the front. Good luck. :)

Angela,
When my children were being breastfed... they had the loose (almost oatmealy) stools. It does sound normal and as you add more cereal and baby food as time goes... they will change. I too had the problems with escaping messes... I ultimately tried other diapers until I found one that the messes were greatly reduced (never eliminated). I've talked with other moms about diaper brands and it seems that they are a lot like shoes... each brand fits each baby differently. Some say they never leaked with Pampers or Huggies, etc... and some say the opposite. Maybe trying the Huggies premium brand will improve the problem and not irritate your little one's skin. Good luck!

I hate to tell you, but unfortunately that is most likely your fate while you continue to breastfeed until you start jar baby food. This is my 2nd child and until we started solids - we had some REALLY nasty messes! I will say whatever you do DON"T buy Huggies unless you have to. My youngest had an allergic reaction to the Pampers Cruisers and we tried Huggies and OMG - I would find piles of poop on the carpet from time to time!!!! Talk about nasty! My son would be playing with toys on the floor and the next thing I would see is YUCK all over my carpet! HUGGIES LEAK!!!!! I tried using bigger sizes, etc to NO avail! The good news is that you are on your way to solids soon - it really does help to firm up the poopy! Until then - Oxiclean ROCKS! The clorox bleach pen has saved me on white fabrics! And other than that, Travis Carpet Cleaners do a GREAT job and they are VERY reasonably priced!

1 / 3