Mental Health, Meds, and Breastfeeding

I'm a new mommy to a wonderful little baby girl who is now six months old. I was diagnosed with Bioplar and OCD approx 2 years ago. I tried different meds and finally found one that worked for me. After being on this med for about a month we were FINALLY pregnant!! (We had been tring for a 1 1/2!). I stopped my bipolar meds cold turkey (per my dr) the minute I found out I was pregnant. I have been off of my meds for 16 months now. But, I'm feeling like it is time to start them again. It is getting increasingling difficult to keep myself in check without my meds. My issue is giving up breastfeeding in order to start my meds again. I have had MANY struggles with breastfeeding from day one! I have had to supplement since my daughter was 5 weeks old becuase I do not produce enough, but, I have proudly stuck it out for the past 6 months in order to give her at least half of a feeding with breastmilk. A part of me is not ready to give up this special time that we have together twice a day. But, another part of me is wondering if I'm being the best mom that I could be since I'm not on my meds. Do I give up breastfeeding to go on meds to help myself out mentally, or do I try to stick it out and stay off my meds and continue to breastfeed until she is a year old? I'm pretty sure I know what the right thing to do is. But, I was just wanting some feed back. Thanks :-)

I would first like to say THANK YOU!!!! This was my first time posting on this website and the encouraging words and support I have received from all you mama's is AWESOME!!

I have decided to stop breastfeeding and restart my meds. I have enough frozen milk to last my daughter at least another month which would put her close to 7 1/2 months old. I feel that is great, especially considering all of the problems I have encountered with breastfeeding!

I just want to thank you all again!!! Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

You can breastfeed & take medication.I'am on Zoloft the generic form I was prescribed 50 mgs daily but I only take half so it is 25 mgs & it is plenty to take the edge off yes there are times that I need more but that will come after I quit breastfeeding.I have had depression for 15 yrs so when post partum depression set in after my 2nd & 3rd child I had to go back on medication I should of been on it sooner but I was in denial.

You have given your precious baby six months of breast milk and THAT is an accomplishment! Please, give yourself permission to get back on your meds. You have given your baby a jump start on her health and it's time to get back to managing yours.

After struggling with depression my entire life, I know that for me, six months was the longest I could go without meds. My kids got six months of breastfeeding and then I had to take care of myself and get back on the meds and it made me a better mom.

It's hard to give up the special time while nursing, but you are bonded with her and it only gets better from here. Don't feel guilty. You've done a wonderful thing for your daughter!

I agree with all the OP's. What a huge advantage you have given your daughter by breast feeding for so long. It's more than most American babies get, for sure. Just like many things in parenting, this decision is not necessarily cut and dry; you can make arguements for both. But I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that says "If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

One other thought: you are leaving this bonding time behind, but as the mother of three year old twins, I promise you that many new and equally wonderful bonding experiences await you both!

COngratulations on making the 6 month mark. You have done an awesome job providing for your daughter. If you feel it is time to go back on medication, please do so. You will have a better relationship with your daughter when you are mentally balanced and can enjoy her, than if you get unbalance and have to deal with the stress of nursing. Talk to your husband and your mental health care provider about coming up with a transition plan for you and baby before problems arise.

I would stop breastfeeding. You've breastfed for 6 WHOLE months. That is wonderful. I agree that breatfeeding up to a year old is recommended (heck, my silly baby breastfed until 3!), but I believe your sanity is more important. I was on Zoloft while I was pregnant and breastfeeding. Zoloft is the only recommended anxiety/depression medication since it does not leak into breast milk. If I was told that I could not take Zoloft while being pregnant or breastfeeing, I GUARANTEE I would just breastfeed as long as I can, and once I feel the anxiety come back, I would get back on the meds and stop breastfeeding.

DO NOT FEEL GUILTY in any way. Your mental health is much more important for you and your family.

M.,
Your mental state is far more important to your family. Your baby willl continue to love you with or without breastfeeding. By all means, return to the meds and do not feel guilty. Easier said than done (LOL)! Merry Christmas!

You have done great to breastfeed her this long. Congrats! But you also need to take care of yourself. Her well-being depends upon your well-being. If you are not well, how can you expect to take care of her? I understand that breastfeeding is a wonderful bonding time. But there are other ways to bond. You are a great mother. Take care of yourself and get back on the meds. Good Luck, many blessings!

It is amazing that you have been able to go as long as you have and take good care of your daughter. You need to remember that what is best for you is also best for her. If breastfeeding has to be given up for her to still have an amazing mommy, that is a fair trade. It can still be a special time with a bottle, I know it was for me, since I wasnt able to keep breastfeeding after a week. Good luck!

1 / 3