Memory Foam Mattress for a Child?

It's time to transition my 4 yr old daughter from a toddler bed to a twin bed. I am considering a memory foam mattress on top of a platform bed. Wanted to get advice. Is it safe? Will there be enough support for their developing bodies? Could it get too hot? thanks in advance for your two cents.

PS: Reasoning - i thought that since i luv my memory foam mattress so much, i should get one for my kids too.

thanks for all the advice! based on everyone's feedback and official feedback from tempurpedic. i'm going to get a good ole fashion mattress. going to check out the serta recommended below and the naturpedic ultra.

The fumes from those beds are horrendous, I would not suggest having a small child sleep on one. Just get a conventional mattress, and try to locate one that has been made hypoallergenically without the use of chemicals.

i guess my question would be, why? what's wrong with a regular old mattress? she's four, for pete's sake.

Coming from a family that owns a furniture store, I personally would wait to purchase the memory foam when she gets old enough for it to matter. At this point in time, she's small enough that she can sleep on a regular spring mattress with little to no problem. Memory foam is designed for people who have curves--i.e. developing teens-adults. If you spend the money now, you'll have to do it all over again in another 10-15 yrs. I'd wait to buy the memory foam until she needs it.

Memory foam mattresses are not only hot, but from the research I did (when buying a new mattress for me and my husband) they harbor bacteria, pollen, and other microscopic junk not visible with the naked eye. Sure, a regular mattress does the same, but memory foam mattresses are so much more dense than the traditional mattresses that they harbor even more. I have really bad seasonal allergies and asthma and this nugget of information helped me make a decision.
A mattress salesman told me that it is important to not allow your child to sleep in these types of environments as your child may develop allergies in the future.
The other posters make a lot of sense about correct development of curves- never thought about that.

I don't know about the temp, but we got one for my son from walmart because it was the least expensive mattress we could find. He has slept fine on it for a year, and as far as I'm concerned, he has the most comfortable bed in the house.

I wouldn't do a water bed, but a memory foam mattress has plenty of support.

My son (who was 5 at the time) had an older mattress and I got him a memory foam pad and he started sleeping much better and I don't find it to be hot at all when I lay down with him at times.

We switched our toddler to a daybed, and bought him a sertta that has the traditional springs on bottom, memory foam, then a small pillow top. He loves it! I slept on it with him the first night. It was not warmer then his body temp. and so comfortable he passed out with in two pages of " A train Named James"- thomas the chuchu series

Hi. My daughters (7 and 11) both have memory foams on their beds. My son (2 1/2) has his "big boy bed" but for a long time now, has been sleeping with his sister (the 7 yr. old). They love sleeping together and have a bond like I've never seen. Anyway, he sleeps fine on the memory foam. He doesn't get too hot and it is perfectly safe. He's been sleeping on it for about 8 months now and I've seen no problems. He doesn't appear to have any aches or pains and wakes well rested. He even sleeps on it for his naps without his big sister and sleeps for 2-3 hours in the afternoon.

Hope this helps! :)

1 / 3