Melted Plastic Plate in Oven

Please Help!!!

I cooked some brownies and put them on a plastic decorative plate and placed them in the oven until I was ready to bring them out for an event. In the meantime, I forgot the brownies were in the oven and i turned on the oven and well you know the rest..LOL I noticed the stove smoking opened it up and the plate had melted and now melted plastic is stuck on the oven racks and bottom of the oven. Does anyone have any ideas of how to clean this?? It seemed like the plastic was drying once I took the rack out and the plastic seemed hard like I may be able to break it off but I am not sure..

Thanks in advance for your help..

I used a hammer to beat off the dryed plastic on the oven racks and it worked like magic and it didnt take very long..LOL and the plastic in the oven came off easily by knudging it with a metal butter knife and then I wiped out the oven and put on the self cleaning and I could smell it burning just a tad but the oven is very clean now..Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

oh you poor thing - I have nothing to add except if you do decide after getting out what you can to burn the rest off in a clean cycle be sure to leave the house - its possible the burning plastic could be toxic.

K., I have done the same thing more times than you can count...The easiest way I have found is to turn the oven on long enough to warm up the plastic, then you can scrape it off rather easily...To get the smell out you will have to just plain clean the whole oven after your done...

I hate it when I do that !!!!!!!

Good Luck.....B.

Found this on the web. Good luck

The method you use to remove this difficult mess will depend on the interior finish of your oven and whether it is gas or electric or has a self-cleaning or continuous-cleaning feature.
For a regular electric oven: Place a bag of ice directly on the melted plastic to chill it and make it more brittle. Then carefully, using a razor-blade scraper, lift off the puddle of plastic. This procedure will not hurt an interior porcelain finish.

For a regular gas oven: First turn off the gas. Then take out the bottom panel (there should be two screws in the back that can be removed to lift out this base plate). If it fits, put the panel in the freezer until the spilled plastic becomes brittle enough to scrape off, or use the bag-of-ice technique, keeping the panel flat on a kitchen counter.

For an oven with a self- or continuous-cleaning feature: Turn on the oven to its lowest setting and heat only until the plastic becomes pliable. Then use a wooden spatula or spoon (other materials may damage the surface) to remove the melted plastic.

As a last resort, it may be necessary to replace the floor or bottom plate in your oven.

K.,

Maybe you could fit the rack into your freezer, when the plastic has frozen maybe it will turn brittle and break off?

If you can break most of it off, do you think the self cleaning feature on your oven (if it has one) could burn off the rest. It may stink like burned plastic while it is cleaning but it shouldn't smell after that?

Just a thought--Good luck!

I would personally try to 'break' it off while it's cool (kinda like when the plastic melts in the dishwasher. Otherwise, I would end up using olive oil- to see if that helps to loosen it (by getting under the plastic.)

I also would end up researching things on the internet (a bit of a geek in me, too! LOL~)

Sorry about your plate! Hope the oven turns out okay!

1 / 3