Melted Plastic on Glass Cooktop

I've got melted plastic, from a ziploc bag that was placed on a burner that was still hot, on my glass cooktop stove. I tried to clean it off while it was still warm and just ended up spreading it around. Now how do I get the stuff off?

We have a flat razor for ours, and it scrapes off just about everything. The time to scrape off plastic is after it's cooled off. I have done the very thing you mentioned, and it came off very easily this way. I would get the razor anyway if you don't have one. It's by far the easiest way to clean this kind of stove top, and doesn't damage them. Good luck!

Eeek! Did you try scraping it off with a flat edge razor? That's my secret weapon. I also use a cleaner from home depot for glass top stoves, called something like "ceramabryte" which is fabulous, but the razor works best for the hard things. Good luck!

Try using a utility knife - he ones that take razor blades. When the cooktop is cool, hold the knife at an angle and scrape away from you. I am a glass artist, and also have a glass cooktop. I have found that on glass, the utility knife is very useful for removing almost any thing that sticks to glass.

Try using a straight edge razor blade (like painters use to get paint off windows) to scrape it off ever so lightly at an angle so as not to scratch the stove top. If that doesn't work, use the cleaning solutions made just for glass cook top stoves.

I'm pretty sure the razor will work, I have done the same thing, used the razor, then used the Ceramic cleaner to shine it up
.
But be careful, if you get any other answers besides these because some things can harm the cooktop. If you have a manual for it look it up to see what you can use and if all else call the company to find out what to do.

When I bought my glass top stove I was told not to use anything except the staight edge razor or Ceramabryte or other glass top cleaners. He said things like Windex can ruin the stove top's finish.

Good Luck and God Bless!

I have done this SO many times! Get a scraper that has a razor blade in it. Painters use it to scrape paint off of windows. Use it to scrape off the plastic, works like a charm. I have had a few people freak out when I tell them this, but believe it or not this is the manufacturer's recommendation. It works for stubborn food, burns, etc. too.

this happened to us about two weeks ago.. and there is a product from "easy off" for glass cook tops that took it off like a dream!

1 / 3