Melted Crayon in My Dryer!

Help!
I dried a bunch of wet clothes in the dryer without realizing my daughter had a black crayon in her pocket.
needless to say, everything has 'tar like' stains on it and the dryer is black marks everywhere.
i tried 'goo-gone' but at this rate, it will take me hours to get it all off.
i haven't even thought about what to do about the clothes yet..
urgh!
any thoughts?

My 6 year old left an orange crayon in his pocket and I had the same mess. I used Spray & Wash with Resolve on the clothes, let it sit for about 30 minutes and washed the clothes in hot water with regular detergent. The only clothing that it didn't come out of was the clothing with white trim or white stripes. In the dryer, I just used my dishcloth (it has the "netting" on one side, got them at WalMart) with a little of the Spray & Wash and it took 90% of it out.

I'd like to endorse the idea of a glass of wine! Or maybe two...three.....?
My first instinct when I read this was to try to dry a load of wet rags. I think it will be easier to remove when it's warmed up. Those Magic Erasers are AWESOME--try one of those!

Crayons are basically colored wax, so this might help. For candle wax on table cloths or clothes, you layer several paper towels or brown paper bags below and on top of the cloth then run an iron on very low settings over it. The wax melts and absorbs into the paper towels/brown bags.

Would toothpaste work on the dryer? A white semi abrasice paste, as opposed to a gel might work. We used it to take crayon off walls before - and I assume it would be less flammable than some of the other options.

Ok I have been through this plenty of times with my daughters with lip balm, lips smackers, crayons, you name it and has melted in our dryer. Try letting the dryer run without anything in it. it should heat up the crayons and while it's still hot it should wipe right off. Since you put the goo gone on it you might want to read the back of tthe label. I'm not sure how it's going to react to the heat from the dryer. As for the clothes try using Grease lighting it works really well on those kinds of stains. I buy it by the gallon and add it to my wash with the detergent. It does a really great job with stains. I also use the spray n' wash with resolve to get stains out. the both work pretty well.

Have you tried letting the dryer cool down and then scraping the crayon off with your fingernail (so as not to damage the dryer)?

don't give up on the clothing just yet! I once accidentally washed and dried a pair of khaki shorts with bright pink lipstick in the pocket. I thought for sure that they were done for. But I washed the heck out of them and noticed that a little more came out each time, until they were finally completely rid of lipstick. I'm thinking if lipstick comes out, crayon will... I didn't use bleach or anything, either, just regular detergent and long cycle.

Hope that helps... sorry I don't have any tried-and-true crayon-removing techniques.

I would try using something like a fingernail or some other object that won't scratch the metal to get off the thicker bits. Then try a Mr. Clean magic eraser. They do wonders. It will still take a little work though.

As for the clothes, check on Crayola.com. I checked there once for some other product they have and getting it out of clothing. Unless they changed it they have advice on how to get most of their products out of clothing and other household items.

To clean the drum of your dryer to remove any remaining crayon, spray a soft cloth with WD-40, and wipe the drum. Run a load of dry rags through a drying cycle to ensure that your drum is clean. If your dryer is gas, allow it to air out for a few hours after using the WD-40, before starting it up on a heat cycle.

I woul try running the dryer fo a few miutes to heat up the crayon. Then, it should com off easier. You could also put an old towel or something in there to help take it off. Good luck.

Try WD-40 which you can find in the automotive stores or auto dept. of Walmart. this should take it off. My sister in law had crayon all over her walls from kids of course.
Good luck! In the same crayon subject...to avoid those melted crayons on your car upholstry; try putting colored pencil in the car for the kids instead of crayons.
H. L.

1 / 3