Meltdown with Dressing and Diapering

For the first 7 1/2 months of my baby's life I have had very little problem diapering or dressing him. Now, at nearly 8 months all of a sudden the act of changing a diaper or getting dressed for the day (or night) results in a complete meltdown. He screams and cries as if I am beating him within one inch of his life the minute I lay him down on the changing table. I doubt he has hurt a body part because he is crawling on the floor, over couch cushions, through tunnels, pulling himself up on the furniture and plopping back down to the ground with a smile and laugh.

Please tell me this is a phase. I've kept toys handy to distract him, but sometimes even that doesn't work. Any advice?

**Unfortunately he cannot stand on his own, nor is there anything to hold on to at the changing table.

Oooooh yes! For what felt like too long I was doing diaper changes on the crawl away. I too think it's the discovery of freedom to move. Sometimes it helps to change on the floor instead of the table, but we usually did changes upside down on the changing table. For my second son we did standing changes as soon as possible. I remember doing pullups (size 1T-2T they had for a while there) even for my first because they were easier than doing the diaper when doing it upside down (and the same price as diapers because more off on coupons to counteract the less number in the package). My second son is almost 2 and still doens't like changing clothes...though I should mention he is a strong-willed one who doesn't like transitions one bit. The phase was just a few months long with my first son. But the funny thing is that he would lay PERFECTLY on the changing table for ANYBODY else...just not mom...the little stinker!!! :)

MR,
I feel your pain!! My 7 1/2 month old started the same screaming, twisting, turning behavior a few weeks ago. It is almost impossible to diaper and dress him after his bath. I also babysit for a 10 month old that does the same thing. I think once they are able to move around they just can't stand to lay still and feel confined when dressing and diapering.
I have a feeling this stage may last several months! Just know you are not alone.

My little one does the same thing! He's been doing it for two months--he's 9 months old

Sounds like he does not want to be confined. I changed my daughter's diaper while she was crawling! I put in on backwards - didn't seem to bother her and performed the same. I also diapered & dressed her on the floor. Changing tables are good while they are very small but once they start to move around, it becomes very difficult.

My little guy was the same way before his first birthday. I switched to Easy Ups diapers for a quick change on the move and found ways to dress him while he was standing and playing. It was a phase and it didn't last too long. If your guy is new to crawling he probably doesn't want anything holding him back - independence is fun! Hang in there.

MR:

it is a phase.... try changing and dressing him standing up... not as easy but doable with practice.

P., RLC, IBCLC
Pres. Lactation Support Group, Inc
www.lactationsupportgroup.com

Hi!
I agree with Patricia - my son did the same thing. I think he felt he was missing out on something! I ended up changing and dressing him standing up until the phase ended - which is did - so hang in there!

I agree that moving him to a new location and letting him "stand" is a good tactic. I dread diaper changing time, and this is the only thing that seems to appease my little wrestler. If your son can't stand on his own, change him next the couch or the coffee table with some toys on it to keep him busy. It takes practice to change a diaper backwards and standing, but you'll get the hang of it ;) And in my experience, it's easier to change him standing if his butt is towards you. Try the same with dressing. Good luck!

1 / 3