Melatonin for My 2 Year Old?

Hello mommies! I was talking to a friend over the weekend, complaining about my 2 year old not sleeping. She said she had the same problem with her 2 year old son and talked to the doctor who suggested Melatonin.
My son used to go right to sleep around 8:30pm, slept until about 7am and took an hour nap in the afternoon (usually around 2pm). Now he can't seem to fall asleep (not fighting it, just laying there for an hour or more trying to go to sleep with his eyes closed), wakes up during the 1 o'clock am hour for anywhere from a few minutes to an hour, and during the 4 o'clock hour again.
I'm going to ask the doctor, but in the meantime have any of you had experience with Melatonin for toddlers?

I have a 6-year-old daughter that has been taking Melatonin on and off for about 4 years. It helps tremendously. You can buy it at GNC. I think it's about $4 for 60 pills. Get the sublingual kind that are cherry flavored and they can chew them. You have to find the right amount. I tried 1, it didn't work, tried 2, still didn't work, she takes three 1 mg tablets and within 30 minutes she's sound asleep. Hope this helps. It's very safe for kids to take.

I take Melatonin myself often. I like the 3mg for me, but if I give it to my son (3yo) I open the capsule and sprinkle a little in his mouth- it is tasteless and it does the trick. They only need a very little bit so start low, you can get them really inexpensive at Swanson's Vitamins - I think right now they are like $1.99 for 60 1mg, buy one get one free - so you will get 120 for that price.

My pediatrician also recommended the melatonin for my son..He just turned 3 and has been on it for couple months now. You can buy it at any pharmacy or store. It is with the vitamins. I would suggest the 1mg for your 2 yr old. Or could buy the 3mg and cut them. But, wouldn't start out at the 3mg as the lower dose will more than likely do the trick. It has worked great for us. No more waking throughout the night or laying there forever until he finally goes to sleep. One thing with this though is lighting affects it. My little man gets up when the son gets bright(usually bout 8am) and will act completely awake after I give him the med at night until I turn the lights out. Once I turn them out he's out in less than 5min. He used to stay up and try to play even in the dark. Not anymore. lol Well, hope works for you. Good luck..

My almost 5-year-old was never a good sleeper, and she would take at least an hour to fall asleep. When she was 3 I started giving her melatonin. I use a liquid so I can measure it exactly, and I give her .25 ml. I tried other things 1st, such a Valerian Super Calm by Herbs for Kids and Calms Forte 4 Kids by Hyland's. Neither seemed to help, but you might want to try these before melatonin. Melatonin can cause disturbing dreams. Good luck!

I wouldn't give Melatonin, unless you speak to your pediatrician. I do want to recommend a book to you, called "Happy sleep habits, healthy child" by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. He does have some great tips on establishing better sleep habits and helping kids sleep through the night and also falling asleep.

Sleeping pills for a toddler? Call you doctor, but seems a bit ridiculous....

My son does that sometimes too, but since he is happy, we let him go.

I would hold off on the melatonin until you talk with your Doctor,but in the meantime take a look at what your son is eating and drinking. This will be the first question from your Doctor. What one child can tolerate doesn't mean another can. Good luck. A.

My son has had night terrors since he was 1. Which trust me are no fun! The nuerologist suggested melatonin. GNC stores sell sublingual pills which means they melt under the tongue. My son just liked to chew them. With the melatonin it is natural and something your brain produces to tell you that it is dark and it is time to go to sleep. Some people just don't produce enough. So I gave it to my son on nights that he would go to bed too late because he would be over tired and being over tired triggers night terrors.

I woke up last night to see my son sitting on bed in the dark singing and song and wide awake at 10pm. He went to bed at 8:45pm. He doesn't take it all the time but I did give him some last night. I would talk to your doctor. My son is now 9 years old. Very rarely has any sleep issues but if he is having a hard time getting to sleep I give him a cherry flavored melatonin and he is asleep in about 30 mins. He is old enough now that if he can't get to sleep he will let me know.

I have used it before too. It is better than taking advil pm. Why would you take an advil if all you need is sleep and you don't have pain.

1 / 3