Meds for Preventing Asthma Attacks

My son has always had asthma but it has never been real bad. Pretty much we could manage it with just his albuterol inhaler. He is 15 and a half and very active in sports and school. He always has been but his asthma has never been a problem. He had a severe asthma attack last Thursday night and had to be rushed to the hospital. We go see his regular Pediatrician tomorrow and I want to find something to help prevent this not just take care of it after the fact. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We had our appointment today and one of the things the doc gave him is Singulair, and a couple of different inhalers. We will work on this and see how things go. One of the things that we have realized is that the difference between this year and the years in the past that he has participated in sports is that he is in Cross country running and therefore it is outside in the heat, dust, and all the things floating around in the air from the trees and stuff. We will let you know if there are any changes, etc. Thank you to all for your advice and I am glad to know that the meds the doc wanted to try have worked for others. Thanks again.

I was just going to say the same as the others, he needs to be on a preventive inhaler as well. My son is on Advair for the preventive and it is working wonderfully! We've hardly had to use the albuterol since he's been on it. He is also on singulair as well. Hope you get something that helps him! Good Luck!

Hi T.,
My little sister and I both have asthma. We take Advair once a day and it helps to prevent attacks or wheezing. I don't have really bad asthma but when I do take Advair I find that I don't have really any symptoms versus when I don't. You might want to check that out. Hope this helps!

You should've been given a 'preventive' inhaler as well as a 'rescue' inhaler, that's what the albuterol is for. I have had asthma for 23 years so if you have any other questions feel free to message me.

I see you already got some preventative meds, but I wanted to send you a message anyways. My little brother had asthma all of his life. It wasn't until we were adults that we changed our homes over to using non-toxic products. He completely lost his asthma. I lost my sinus infections and strep throat. I have had other family members and friends have the same results. I buy from a specific company that makes about everything you need in your home everyday, health, hygiene, cleaning, otc meds, etc. I think you could benefit by changing your home, and then finally not having to worry about buying medications at all. If you have questions, let me know, and I'd be glad to help.

Hi T.,

I realize your request is a little old. I'm new here, and I felt I needed to share with you. My daughter has asthma and allergies too.

I agree with the moms who told you about having your son tested for allergies. Seems like they go hand-in-hand.
Before we had my daughter tested for the two, she would clear her throat and cough, a lot. I would just treat her with some OTC meds. It wasn't until a doctor heard her cough, that they took it seriously. We were referred to a allergy/asthma specialist. We found out she was only breathing at about 50% capacity... and has a pretty moderately allergy to cats, and seasonal outdoors things.

Since we got her on her meds, rarely does she have episodes.
She's taking Pulmicort, (an inhaler), Nasacort, (nasal spray), and a generic form of Benadryl. She was on a Rx before the Benadryl, but she woke up every morning and her face, eyes and lips were swollen. She has her Albuterol rescue inhaler and her nebulizer and a good ol steroid stand-by in case things get real bad. Oh, did I mention she's also taking allergy shots? Right now she's at every two weeks. She's been taking them for just over two years. She got about another three to four years to go.

Good luck with your son. Asthma sure does keep you on your toes! If you have any questions, let me know! ls

Hi! I saw that you've already been to the doctor, but I just wanted to share my experience. I have allergy induced asthma. It has taken me years to figure out what would trigger my asthma problems! Different places/towns/etc have different allergens and so I tend to have more problems in some places than others. If I go to visit my inlaws I almost always have asthma issues, while at home I don't have near as many problems. Several years ago we lived in Ponca City, OK. The refinery there really bothered me and I was on both Singulair and Advair. Advair is a controller inhaler, not a rescue inhaler like the albuterol. And Singulair helped with allergies, as well as asthma. I hope you get it figured out, I know that its miserable! Good luck!!

Hi T.~

Sorry to hear about your son's asthma problem going on. A lot of kids do suffer with asthma unfortunately so your son is not the only one. There are some different things that you can do to help prevent this and a lot is just a simple change most people do not even think of doing. I would love to share more info. with you on what you can do about this to help prevent the asthma problems. I would love to tell you all about what you can do that has helped many other people out there like your son. Please send me an email ____@____.com so I can share all of the details with you that can make a difference for your son. I look forward to talking more with you soon and helping you.

My son is 3 and has taken flovent twice a day to help prevent attacks. It really has worked for him and we are looking to see if we can discontinue it after winter. My son is also on Singular that helps with his allergies and asthma. Good luck!

My middle boy and I take Singulair everynight to control our asthma. I took Asthmacort and Serevent when I was pregnant with him so his lungs are a little more sensitive that most. We've had some good results with Advair but one of the components is known to cause heart problems

The truth is one sever asthma attack in the last year isn't enough to put him on maintenance medications. You need to sit down with him and see if he's using his albuterol at any other time. If it's more than once a week then he needs some day to day maintenance.

1 / 3