Meds for a Bad Cold While Trying to Concieve

My husband and I are trying to have another baby. Because of my school schedule we have a limited time frame or we will have to wait another year.

My question is can I take Theraflu with out any problems, It has acetaminophen (pain releiver), pheniramine maleate (antihistamine),Phenylephrine HCL ( Decongestant). Right now I don't know if I am pregnant or not- it is too soon to test this cycle and because of the timing issue I don't want to risk causing problems. I have a really bad cold and would love to feel better but not at the risk of not getting pregnant or miscairring.

Any advice or alternative meds that are safe.

C., use essential oils!! Totally ok for the pregnant lady with a cold. Ask you OB what they think as well. Peppermint to make the nose run, eucalyptus to help loosen things, RC and Raven on the chest and bottom of the feet...... etc..... Theives on the neck to help keep the germs at bay.....

hmm. im not sure. ask your doctor. they usually have a list of safe medications.

one thing that i know is from what i remember of the list i had when i was pregnant was that most tylenol products are fine. so go with that.
good luck.

I know that at any point in my pregnancies my doctors have said that Robitussin is okay (that has guafenesin and dextromethorphan, so anything else with those is fine too, like mucinex). Any kind of sudafed is fine too (you don't want to take pseudoephedrine while nursing but other times it fine). Tylenol is fine. Obviously you want to be careful but those are all medicines that were listed on a paper I got from my doctor. In my experience its worse to do nothing when you are pregnant and sick. I lost a baby because the doctor told me not to take any medicine to bring down a fever of 103, and it persisted for 3 days (I was only 4-5 weeks pregnant at the time). It was an urgent care doctor who told me not to take anything. My OB said it would have been just fine to take tylenol when I asked him later (too late). I agree with other people that most cold medicines will dry up your cervical mucus and make it hard to get pregnant. I espcially like using a netti pot when I have a cold. Hot tea with lemon and honey helps too.

While trying to conceive you want fertile mucus. Antihistamine dries up that mucus so I could see it making it more difficult for the swimmers.

If you could be pregnant I wouldn't take anything. If you were pregnant for sure my Dr would say nothing but, tylenol!

Best idea is to ask your OB!

I have had great luck with a homeopathic called Cold Calm. It is available at Whole Foods, but I have not read the label regarding pregnancy. I would definitely look into it. I would think it would be a little more safe than chemical options. Good luck!

Hi C.! I hope you feel better soon! My advice would be to get a NeilMed sinus rinse kit at Wal-Mart. You will get TONS of relief with no meds!

1 / 3