Medicines NOT to Take While Breastfeeding

I have heard that antihistamines help dry up milk (which is what I am currently doing)....but can I feed my babies breastmilk if I am taking antihistamines????

A great website that has answers to medication questions and TONS more is: www.breastfeeding.com

Best,

I purchased the book Medications and Mothers Milk (Paperback)
by Thomas W., Ph.D. Hale (Author) on the recommendation of my lactation consultant while breastfeeding my first child. I discovered that most doctors refer to the same manual when advising or prescribing medications to a breastfeeding mother. I have some nasty allergies and yes, in my experience, antihistamines can partially decrease your milk production temporarily. I am considered a "good milk producer" (once we figure out the latch problems), so my milk production only suffered for about a day even when I stayed on the medication for weeks. Have you tried plain Claritin or something along those lines? They didn't seem to cause as much issue with my milk as those with the D (ex-Claritin D).

I hope that helps, but I definitely recommend that book. I even carried it with me to doctor's appointments to be sure we checked on whatever medications I may have to take.

As far as I know, they are on the list of things said to be "safe" while breastfeeding. I always wonder how good it is since traces of most things show up in milk. I did take them a couple times while breastfeeding and never noticed a difference. If you want to stop the nursing, there are herbal products you can try. Check out www.earthmamaangelbaby.com. They sell a "no more milk" tea with herbs that dry up milk supply. Or you can check with an herbalist at a store like Desert Sage Herbs.
It's wonderful you are able to nurse twins! Nursing is the best thing you can do for their health! Glad to hear you could give them a good start and maybe consider a gradual weaning if you can? Best of luck!

www.kellymom.com has a list of both safe and unsafe medicines, herbs, etc... for while you are breastfeeding. Good luck!

I called the pharmacist while I had a cold to ask this question and she said that it is okay for my baby to drink my breast milk while I'm taking Benadryl but not too take too much because I might dry up or decrease my supply. But it won't harm the baby. Yeah for breast feeding! =)

Hi A. -

Any medications you take will pass through your breastmilk to your child. If you would like to dry up your breast milk, there are herbal means that will not affect your baby.

If you are interested, let me know.

Blessings,

M. M. Ernsberger
Certified Clinical Herbalist

1 / 3