Medicine for Behavioral Problems

I have a 10 year old who has been in counseling the last year because he has social problems. He hasn't done anything bad or wrong, he is highly intelligent and has problems socializing with others. He's had to learn about boundaries, not bugging other people, keeping his hands to himself, not blurting what he is thinking when he wants to. He has come a long ways. His counselor hasn't pushed me to put him on medication and I've been reluctant but this past Christmas with him was like having fire ant bite, my heart was pained and I couldn't wait until Christmas was over. His 5 year old brother is like him. I have both of them on Addasil for ADHD kids. (I believe too many kids are diagnosed with this.) It has helped and I am wondering if any mom has used this to help their kids focus and behave better. I give the right dosage but on some days my 10 year old son needs more but since Addasil is all natural there are no scientific guidelines. Has anyone used or are using this product now. Thanks

Hi W.,

It sounds as if Asperger's might be something you want to look into. However, medication won't help with social skills. There is a private school in Plano, Great Lakes Academy that specializes in educating students with Asperger's, AD/HD, and various learning differences, by providing small class sizes (10:1), social skills classes, and one on one attention. You can visit their website at www.greatlakesacademy.us.

I agree it sounds like Asperger's .... which meds will help with focus, but behavior training from a professional through the school or privately is needed for social issues.

Hi W.,

W.,
Has your child been diagnosed with ADD or Aspergers? Does he have sensory issues like he doesn't like tags in shirts or sounds bother him? There is a place called Center for Social Success that can help you in Plano. Their number is ###-###-####. Please call them. He is getting older and need the support.

http://www.aboutourkids.org/families/disorders_treatments... hopefully you can get to this sight. If not go to www.aboutourkids.org and put Asperger's in the search window. what you're discribing seems to fit the profile and this organization is committed to teaching the social skills to the otherwise smart kids that suffer through this disorder. Like you said too many get the ADHD label and I'm afraid it could become true for Asperger's as well, but take a look and glean what might help.

has your sone ever been tested for Aspergers? It can be difficult to tell... but several symptoms include social difficulties and aggression or behavior problems. My son is 5 and we suspect he has Aspergers but his diagnosis for now is PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder.) He also has severe ADHD and Sensory integration disorder. You may want to have him evaluated. a great place to do that is Our Children's House Baylor. They have one in Frisco and other surrounding areas.

Sound like he could benifit from sensory therapy and ADHD meds. Our Childrens hous also has great therapy programs.

I had ADHD as a child and took Ritilin and looking back I am so glad I did because I hated feeling out of controll and having people make fun of me because I got in trouble all the time for talking and being hyper... kids hate being hyper as much as you hate the idea of the meds but if it works it really is better for them than not being able to controll them selves. Its only temporary as well...until they grow out of it or learn to function with out it. the therapies at ACH Baylopr help them learn out to function and controll...

Good Luck-
A. J

Has anyone diagnosed your child with a social disorder, possibly Asbergers? Occasionally a very bright child has troubling socializing. If that is his problem, it can be diagnosed as a syndrome by a professional. Sometimes it can be treated by behavior modifications.

Your sons are already on medication, even if Addisil is a natural product. Natural products are chemicals, so if your boys would do better on a prescription don't be afraid. There you will find good guidelines as to how to handle dosing. Sometimes children are relieved to find that their brains aren't so busy when they are on meds.

You are already on the right track with the counseling. You need a specific diagnosis and then you will have definite paths to follow.

Good luck to you.

Have you researched Asperger's Syndrome? Your son's symptoms sure do sound like it. Just a suggestion. J

Is your son aspergers? Check out Dr. Kenneth Bock's book Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, Asthma, ADHD and allergies. A DAN! (Defeat Autism Now) doctor can help. Look on www.autism.com to find a list of DAN doctors. Dr. Rao in Plano can help. You can start with a gluten and casein free diet (remove milk and wheat products). The diet and MB12 injections make huge differences in many, many children. N.

Your children sound as if they are not ADHD but high functioning Autistic (Asperger). The medication is not good for them.
Try investigating a Gluten free diet. If followed to the tee I guarantee you will see a big difference.

R.

1 / 3