Medical Question for Me, Not Baby! :)

I got a cold about 6 weeks ago or so which was accompanied by a cough. the cough lingered and lingered...it basically got better for a couple of days and then got bad again, about 2-3 times. finally earlier this week i was all well, not coughing at all! but starting yesterday or so my chest is feeling tight (but still no cough) and when i exhale, i can't exhale a lot of air out. should i go to the dr for ths u think or is it just the cold clearing up? my doc is so hard to schedule an appt with and i'm so busy...wondering if any of you have experienced this and if it'll just go away on its own?? thanks!!

I went to the doctor and it's just post-nasal drip! He prescribed Flonase so I'll give that a shot. Thanks for the advice, ladies! Have a great day :)

Go to the doctor! Reports just came out that CA is dealing with a pertussis epidemic and little ones are very susceptible to this~~adults need a booster if they haven't got the immunities to it (look at news reports for whooping cough/pertussis)

When you make the appointment make sure to tell them that you been sick and coughing for about 6 weeks, and that since yesterday you're having trouble breathing... That you can still breathe but it's very difficult to exhale, and should you come in right away or go to the ER?

Those symptoms should get you in fairly quickly... because they shout fluid in the lungs... and the legnth of time nixes the zillions of patients who are scared about pertussis and are probably ringing their phones off the hooks (which you could also easily have given those symptoms).

You should go to the doc... it might be walking pneumonia, and you'll need antibiotics to totally get over it. I've had this (about 7 years ago). I thought it was a bad cold, so I didn't do anything about it for about two months, when things got unbearable. The turn for the worse was quite sudden..it went from this nagging cough to all of a sudden, it felt like my lungs were swelled with cotton batting. I tell you, if this is the early signs of pneumonia, you want to get on it right away, before it turns wicked! Kiss sleeping well goodbye! My coughing jags got so bad, I cracked a rib. Don't mess around.

One other consideration; I saw a report on GMA this morning saying that Whooping Cough is epidemic in your state. If you have very young kids, (who are especially vulnerable to this illness) you may want to go see your doc to get treatment and to be on the safe side.

Your cold may have turned into pneumonia. It's better to get it checked out. Last year, I was told when I thought I had pneumonia that is was just my asthma and sent on my way. A day later, it was so much worse and I couldn't breathe at all. I went to the E.R. and found that indeed I had pneumonia and pleurisy....and getting close to having been needed to be in the hospital. It lasted about 2 months after.. :(

go see the dr... tell them how you have been feelilng..if he can't see you soon... and it's that hard to schedule an appt.. maybe find a new dr... good luck.. hope you feel better soon..

I had a cough like that last winter. It held on for 8 weeks. My ribs got sore from coughing so much. I had no fever, but the darn thing just wouldn't quit. Whooping cough is characterized as a cough that doesn't let you catch your breath. The whooping sound you make as you try to breathe in is what gives it it's name. It doesn't sound like what you have.
I rinsed out my sinuses with saline using a neti pot as often as I could. I took hot baths and steamy showers as often as I could. I used Mucinex (a very good long lasting expectorant). I slept with a heating pad set on low on my chest. You can use a mustard plaster, but you have to be very careful not to burn your skin. I drank plenty of fluids (tea, juice, soup). I don't know if it helped, but I also took an echinacea supplement and a B complex vitamin and vitamin C, and FINALLY it went away. If you can't catch your breath or if you have a fever that keeps coming back or if you have a hard time breathing, you need to go to an ER or see a doctor asap.

Go ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is probably like lyme disease

Go to an Urgent Care center or office.

Your lungs sounds constricted... the airways.

I would go to an urgent care center.. and not wait around for your Doc to have an opening.. .or just call them and tell them you need to be seen pronto.

1 / 3