Medicaid Covering Circumcision?

I have a 16 month old son that has an appointment to be circumcised next wednesday. The Doctor whome is doing the procedure does accept medicaid but supposedly, medicaid does not cover circumcisions at all anymore. So i'm not sure if i will have to pay out of pocket or if medicaid will cover it because the doctore accepts it? And if i do have to pay out of pocket, does anybody know about how much it'd be? Please help! Thanks!

Thank you so much everyone for all your input and advice!! I called the office today to say i dont believe my insurance would cover it and to see how much it would cost without insurance. The receptionist then asked what insurance i had and when i told her, she said it would cover it!! But we'll see for sure on the 10th.

They will cover it after the child is a year old and its MEDICALLY needed. For example, if the baby keeps getting UTI's.......Otherwise its like $200- $300, depending on the Dr

Medicaid does not pay for circumcission. You will have to pay for it. I would call the doctor and ask him how much it is going to cost. Circumcission is biblical. While you are reasearching not doing it you could research the commitment that is biblical in circumcission.

Hi, circumcision is mutilation. If you're religious I'm sure you know that if we are created in G-d's image then he didn't make a mistake and put something there that Drs are meant to remove. It's painful, cruel and not needed. The American Cancer Society retracted their statement that there is more chance of cervical cancer to women whose partner is uncircumcised. People think it's barbaric to circ a girl but not a boy, it's the same thing. Can be dangerous too.
I'm sure you LOVE your baby and want the best for him, consider the possibilities.
http://www.nocirc.org/

Once a dr said the whole hygiene reasoning for circumcision is ridiculous b/c there are many other body parts where dirt, etc can get it and we're obviously not going to start removing ears, noses, etc.

they don't cover the procedure anymore because the medical associations have deemed it unnecessary and cosmetic. Massachusetts is looking at banning it as cruel.
If you choose to circumcise your son, you will likely have to pay out of pocket to do it. However, there is no medical reason for it, so you may want to reconsider.
If you choose to move forward and do it anyway, please, please, please find a doctor who will use local anesthesia on your baby so that he does not have to suffer excruciating pain for a cultural practice. It's just not fair. Good luck.

Your doctor can answer this question.
My question to you is why have the baby circumcised? Unless medically necessary, I do not recommend the procedure. It's painful.

Ummmmmm, ladies......this is 16 month old boy being circumcized, not a newborn. I am sure this mom has a reason for doing it, and most likely, it's none of our business.
Also......male circ. is NOTHING like female circ. Anyone who thinks they are the same is insulting the girls/women who have had to live their entire lives in agony for men's sexual pleasure due to female circumcision.

S., I hope you get an answer to your question! I wish I could help!

Medicaid does not pay for circumcision anymore because it is not deemed
"medically necessary" anymore. If he were to have a problem later on from not being circumcised then the dr would say it needed to be done and medicaid would pay for it. But since that doesnt seem like your case, it would be an expense out of pocket.

You will need to contact medicaid! They will pay, if the procedure is done for medical reasons.

If it is elective, I would urge you to reconsider or at least get educated. It is very painful - usually done before they leave the hospital, infant don't complain! Circumcising a toddler is a whole different ballpark! Recovery for toddlers is longer and painful as well...
Watch a video on how it's done and speak to other parents who had it done on toddlers... it really isn't something you want to put your child through just because...

you will have to pay out of pocket and the doctor's office should be able to tell you exactly how much you will have to pay - just call and ask ahead of time so that you are prepared.

1 / 3