Medela Symphony Vs. Pump in Style

My daughter has bad reflux and really needs to sit up to feed. Therefore, I need a great breast pump that I can use everyday that will express the whole breast. I know Medela is the best, but I am wondering if I should rent the Symphony from the hospital or buy the Pump in Style? Anyone try both or just 1? The LC's told me the Symphony will express the whole breast in about 10 minutes, which would be ideal for me. The big debate is: $65 a month for the Symphony or around $300 now for the Medela. I don't care about the money, I just want the best so my daughter can continue to get breast milk. Thank you all so much!!!!

I will tell you my experience. I rented the Symphony from the hospital but I hated that it was soooooooo big and bulky and not so convenient to take to work and pump. It is definitely faster and does a better job. The Pump in Style is what I went to and it was very convenient and never had a problem but definitely took a little longer. Well hope this helps since I had both

I have used both and the hospital pump worked the best for me. The hospital pump took less time and helped to keep my milk supply up.

Best of luck.

I rented the Symphony from the hospital. It was wonderful. Especially when sometimes it was too painful to nurse! It does pump fast, you can control the rate and depending on how long you nurse you can return it. Its not such a big investment. Nothing beats the hospital grade pumps, they are truly wonderful.

I used both. I rented for a month to make sure I could do it and was comfortable with it and then I purchased the best one. Try that out!! Good luck:)

The pump is style was more than adequate for me. I also used the Symphony which was a little faster but not much. I was able to pump with the PIS in about 10 minutes.

M.,
I have the Medula pump and love it. It's light weight easy to use and works great. I was able to double pump in less that 10 monutes. With my first daughter I rented from the hospital, and the Medula worked just as well as the one I rented from the hospital. Good luck.

I love my pump in style! I won it at a baby fair with my second child an it has worked like a dream for 3 more kids (the second is now 9). I wouldn't trade it for anything. IMHO

If you plan on nursing for a couple of months, then renting probably makes the most sense. I've never rented and have used a few different pumps before I bought Medela's Pump in Style back in 2002. I'm on child #3 and am still using the very same one. I did my research back then and aside from the Medela reputation, I chose the Pump in Style because I was able to bring it with me anywhere in an inconspicuous, "stylish" black backpack. It also came with its own thermos, icepack, and bottles. But I think what really was most helpful was that I was able to pump both breasts (hands-free after some time) in less than 10 minutes. With Child #1 and Child #2, I was very much a career woman, yet all three have never had formula and I couldn't have done it without the Pump in Style.
Congratulations on Alannah!

I have the pump in style and have zero complaints! Why pay $65/month and not own anything? Especially if you have more than one child, it is definately the way to go. I was able to pump in 10-15 minutes with no problems, even with it on battery mode at work. I am going to have my second any day now and I am so glad I own the unit. Good luck! I really doubt there is much difference between the two to warrant spending more money renting.

1 / 3