Measuring Small at 22 Weeks

Hi Mamas!
I am 22 weeks pregnant and just had a doctor appointment yesterday. Ofcourse, I have my questions now, after leaving, and instead of calling the office this time, I thought I would try you all. I have a son, and he was a pretty big baby-- 8 lbs, 15 ozs, 23 in. Throughout my pregnancy with him, I was always measuring big.... sometimes as much as 5-6 weeks ahead. I also gained 54 lbs while pregnant with him, and at 22 weeks, was probably up 30 lbs. Yesterday, when I went to the doctor, my belly, which should be measuring at about 22 weeks, was only at 19, almost 20, I hadn't gained ANY weight in the last 5 weeks, and have only gained 8lbs total. I am worried now. Have any of you measured small, and was everything ok? I guess I am nervous about it, because my daughter was stillborn and they said she was small for her gestational age, but I just had a level two ultrasound 2 weeks ago and the genetic counselor said the baby was at that time, measuring a week ahead of where I should be. Do any of you know if it is possible for me to gain a small amount of weight, have my belly measure small, but still have a big baby in there? I just know that ultrasound isn't an exact science and measurements could be off. My mind plays so many games with me!

My daughter was born over 8 pounds. I was small at first as well but the heartbeat and untrasounds were always fine. And I lose weight when pregnant so my weight was not going up either until the last trimester. Since my diet totally changed--couldn't stand sweet stuff, totally cut down on sugar--the doctor wasn't worried about it. Look at what you are eating, is there anything you cut out because you are pregnant? This could be it.

The funny thing is every pregnancy is different. I've had three children and every time it was different. I had different symptoms, different problems, different cravings, I even carried differently.

My first child was 8lbs 14 oz and 21 1/2 inches long. I gained 50 some pounds. I was very sick for several months, couldn't eat chicken, and craved everything super hot.

Second child was 7lbs 3oz 21 inches long. I measured much smaller with her, but still gained 40 some pounds. I didn't gain weight for a long time until right at the end of my pregnancy. I'm older and had to have stage II ultrasounds to check for heart defects and such. She was a healthy baby.

My third child was 8lbs 15oz and 21 1/2 inches long. I carried very low from early on and looked like I had dropped as early as my fourth month. I wasn't sick much, I craved tomato based foods like mad and omelets. I went from 157 to 194. I had extra heart beats that drove me nuts until I started taking magnesium (250 mg to start and then that twice a day) Then I developed sleep apnea that was so bad I felt like I was suffocating every time I fell asleep. The last eight weeks or so were a living hell.

I also had two miscarriages between the second and the third. Both of those pregnancies were different. I found out I have a clotting disorder called PAI 1 and had to inject Lovenox everyday.

If the stage II ultrasound was good then don't fret. I have a sister-in-law that had twins and barely gained 30 lbs. She looked like a macaroni that swallowed an olive. Her babies were a little early but healthy. They are advanced for their age now.

Me on the other hand...I always look like I ate other pregnant women.

I also experienced this. I am rather petite & my first daughter was 6 lbs 5 oz at birth but there were no issues during my pregnancy with her. With my second pregnancy, I was quite surprised (ok...completely freaked out) when the doctor told me I was measuring small for how far along I was. I ended up going for a level II ultrasound to make sure everything was ok. After that, I got an ultrasound at every office visit to make sure that my fluid levels looked ok. I gained about 30 lbs during my pregnancy but a lot of that weight gain was in the first half of my pregnancy. My doctor was not overly concerned because the baby was getting a little bigger each week.

I just want to tell you that despite all of my worry (and I did worry even though my doctors were monitoring everything very closely), I gave birth (a week after my due date) without any complications to a healthy beautiful little baby girl. She was little (6 lbs 2 oz) but very HEALTHY & STRONG. She is now 11 months old & doing great despite all of my worry. Please talk to your doctor & remain calm (I know it's hard!!). Best of luck to you & your baby!!

Your situation is nothing like mine but I thought perhaps, it might ease your mind.

I am 28 weeks pregnant... I have NOT gained even one pound. Rather I have had chronic diarrhea (which they can not figure out why) and I lost 10 pounds, thankfully I just gained the rest of that back.

All the while, I "look" small from the outside but when they measure me I measure 1-2 weeks ahead! I wonder how can that be? I look tiny and haven't gained a thing.

I too had a Level II ultrasound and "he" looked perfect. All growth was on target.

My Doctor had to remind me that our bodies are "protectors" and we will go through hell first before it affects the baby. He also told me that the position of the baby and how my uterus has stretched plays a big role in how I measure. Basically he said, on the inside, I am "All Baby."

Obviously your doctor knows how many weeks you are, and I believe if he/she was concerned about the differential something would have been said. As for the lack of weight gain, that too, if they were concerned they would have said something.

My advice, relax and monitor your activity - don't do too much (easier said than done) and see what the next OB appointment brings.

Good Luck to you and that baby! :)

I measured small my entire pregnancy, I was always a few centimeters behind, and I gave birth to a beautiful 8lb 6oz 21in baby girl. The doctors and nurses were shocked I just hid her well.

Do not worry. Due dates are just guess dates. You may be a little off. Every pregnancy is different. You may be more active this time around running after children you already have and just life's stresses. Your baby and your body are perfect for each other. I am a certified birth instructor and come across this often All the babies were fine. Just think positive and everything will be fine.

I don't know much about ultrasounds but.....I'd call the doctor and talk to the office. I do know that my niece lost 20 lbs during her pregnacy and had a very healthy baby!!

Hi S. -

I gained 25 pounds in my first two trimesters and not a single pound in my third. I had an 8lb1oz guy who kept growing even though I didn't. I am sure the doctor would have let you know if the lack of weight gain was cause for concern. Best wishes to you and your family for a happy healthy holiday.

1 / 3